Water pump housing - by-pass hose connection

Hi all

On changing the cooling hoses on my 3A I notice that the water pump housing by-pass hose connection is quite short and is slightly conical. Drawings in the maintenance manual also show the same dumpy slightly conical shape but a photo in Roger Willams restoration book shows a longer and apparemtly cylindrical connection.

My concern is ensuring that I get a tight secure fit when I fit the new hose and clip. -I read somewhere that the contact surface should be "roughed up" with a file.

What is the wisdom here and why is this connection conical?

- (I notice that the alluminium repro is cylindrical with a bead on the outlet edge which I guess ensures a much better fit.)

Any comments very welcome

cheers

Steve

Mine has a taper on the OD of the aluminium casting for the thermostat housing and it slid off once when I was about a mile from home. So I pushed the hose back on, filled it with water and tried to tighen the clamp. Then I drove back home to work on it. Tightening it encourages it to slide off more. The slippery action of the antifreeze adds to the problem. A cylindrical shape here is better with a lip all around.

I cleaned it up and filed the taper even more severely near the end to make my own circular lip all around. Then I put some sealant like you might use to hold the gasket and the two halves together for the thromostat housing, tightened it and let it dry for a day before filling it with a new mix of 50/50 water/antifreeze. It has been fine now for about 5 years.

Mine has a taper on the OD of the aluminium casting for the thermostat housing and it slid off once when I was about a mile from home. So I pushed the hose back on, filled it with water and tried to tighen the clamp. Then I drove back home to work on it. Tightening it encourages it to slide off more. The slippery action of the antifreeze adds to the problem. A cylindrical shape here is better with a lip all around.

I cleaned it up and filed the taper even more severely near the end to make my own circular lip all around. Then I put some sealant like you might use to hold the gasket and the two halves together for the thromostat housing, tightened it and let it dry for a day before filling it with a new mix of 50/50 water/antifreeze. It has been fine now for about 5 years.

thanks Don. I was wondering whether you could use some type of silicone gasket sealant as you mentioned.

I just don't understand why these castings were made with a taper in the first place.

Steve

I wouldn't use silicone. That's too slippery and the hose will have a tendancy to still slide off. You need something that will bond without being slippery. Like Permatex Aviation #3 dark brown gasket goo. I think that it's the lip I created that is holding the clamp from slipping down the slope, so it stays secure and the hose stays in place.

I wouldn't use silicone. That's too slippery and the hose will have a tendancy to still slide off. You need something that will bond without being slippery. Like Permatex Aviation #3 dark brown gasket goo. I think that it's the lip I created that is holding the clamp from slipping down the slope, so it stays secure and the hose stays in place.

good point Don

thanks

Steve