TR2 Starter motor removal

Hi, can enyone suggest the easiest way to remove a TR2 starter motor please? Have assumed that it is either carbs out, or exhaust dropped. Many thanks Regards Rick

Rick, I've removed mine from below without removing anything. My early TR3 has the same bullnose starter as your 2. Not that difficullt.

Rick, I've removed mine from below without removing anything. My early TR3 has the same bullnose starter as your 2. Not that difficullt.

Rick,

I just remembered your steering column is over the starter (mines LHD). I still think it would be doable thru the bottom though.

Rick,

I just remembered your steering column is over the starter (mines LHD). I still think it would be doable thru the bottom though.

I have done this in the dim distant past on my previous TR3A (Type-A/bomb-type starter and standard exhaust).

It's tight and on some cars you may have to slacken the exhaust clamps (easier than undoing the manifold to down-pipe connection). Getting it back is a bundle of laughs as well :lol:

However, if you have a 4-branch manifold you will probably have to drop the exhaust at the front.

Edited by BrianC

I changed my bomb starter on my TR3A about 18 months ago. If you search you should find a thread on the subject. I think the TR2 arrangements are the same.

It is a pain and like a puzzle. I didn't need to remove carbs or exhaust manifold, it comes out through the bottom (gravity helps). As I remember, jack the car up, undo the bolts, get underneath, pull it back, push the back end up and tilt it towards the floor, wriggle it arround a bit and it should come out underneath.

neil