TR4 OVERDRIVE WIRING

Hi all- I am rewiring my restoration with a similar, but home made version of Advance Wiring's power block, and, touch wood, it is going OK, albeit is a lengthy process.

I have installed an A type overdrive, as it had none, and I understand how it is wired, but am not clear as to the actual route of the wires from the dashboard area to the gearbox. Does the loom go under the tunnel cover at the front , one of the sides , the rear??? Or through the cover perhaps?sad.gif

Hopefully this weekend will finish the wiring, or if it is sub-zero, finish me!

Thanks,

Rod.

On the top right of the tunnel/cover, quite near the dip switch, there should be a hole in the cover sufficient for the 2 wires to pass through. There should be bullet connectors for the wires on top of the gearbox cover, usually hidden beneath the carpet which sits over the cover. One wire goes to the isolator switches, the other to the solenoid.

Ian Cornish

Whilst cutting the cover, you might wish to cut a circular hole opposite the gearbox filler plug (lefthand side) and another to provide access to the solenoid - it's bound to fail sometime! The latter needs to be an odd shape to follow the contour of the housing as it goes round the solenoid - don't forget that you need to be able to undo the solenoid's two mounting screws (might be worth cutting a X on the heads, so that you can used an angled screwdriver a quarter turn at a time) and to disconnect the electrical supply.

Ian

Hello Ian- The fibreglass cover is a Racetorations two-part one, the rear bit coming off independently to service the overdrive. The filler plug hole is already there. What a good idea to modify the solenoid screws- I will do that! Thanks again,

Rod