return spring

Hi,

I have just spent a very frustrating hour refitting my accelerator linkage through the side of the pedal box area and onto the lever in the engine bay.

My car was missing the return spring between this lever and the tag on the bulkhead. (It came equipped with a small spring in the foot well with a very home made set up.)

The tag and lever both seem to be origional. The spring from Moss PN 027645 is 3 1/2 inch long whilst the the distance from the tag to the hole in the lever is 4 1/2 inches.

Even if by some miricle I managed to get the thing on, the result will be a very heavy feel on the pedal. Before resorting to stretching the spring by 3/4inch, or shedding any more blood... can anyone help please.

Richard.

Persevere- I managed it by myself and also drew blood!!sad.gif

If someone will lend you a hand by pulling the spring for you with a piece of cable etc. towards the tab, then you "only" have to guide it in with Mole grips to twist the end towards the hole? Have you tried the clutch slave cylinder spring yet?!!

Rod

Richard

To add to Rod's response. I use a thick piece of string tied to either a short metal rod or a wooden stick.About 6 inches in length it takes the rod away from where you want to manipulate the Mole grips but still gives you something decent to pull on.A blob of grease or vaseline on the pedal by the hole helps it slide in.

A gentle pull lessens the risk of the spring suddenly flying off but I would always recommened goggles for eye protection.

Bob

Richard

To add to Rod's response. I use a thick piece of string tied to either a short metal rod or a wooden stick.About 6 inches in length it takes the rod away from where you want to manipulate the Mole grips but still gives you something decent to pull on.A blob of grease or vaseline on the pedal by the hole helps it slide in.

A gentle pull lessens the risk of the spring suddenly flying off but I would always recommened goggles for eye protection.

Bob

Its fitted.... :rolleyes:

Its not so bad to fit a tricky part when you know that it "should fit". I find that I always give it a bit more gusto in that case.

Its great, I now have a positive pedal action, rather than needing to put my toe under the pedal and lift it to drop the idle.

Only thing left is to touch up all the paint scratches and the blood stains <_<

Thanks for the help guys.

Richard.