tranny ?

i have noticed 3rd gear has a marbley sound (some vibration).all other gears are fine.car runs well other than that. not very familiar with the gearbox.does anyone know where the problem lies in the tranny and can i attempt to fix it myself? the body is off for frame repair and if i should do anything , nows the time.thanks for any help.

i have noticed 3rd gear has a marbley sound (some vibration).all other gears are fine.car runs well other than that. not very familiar with the gearbox.does anyone know where the problem lies in the tranny and can i attempt to fix it myself? the body is off for frame repair and if i should do anything , now is the time.thanks for any help.

Mark, any idea how many miles are on this gearbox ?. They are generally good for around 60k miles and then the layshaft and bearings and the usual wear parts are going to begin to fail and create the usual side effects and noises. If you pull the top off the gearbox you can get a good look at the gears and see what the general condition is and if you have any chipped gears and if this is a high mileage unit it would be worth getting it rebuilt since you have easy access to it right now.

Stan

Sounds distinctly familiar to me; problem is you won’t see much of the layshaft by removing the top cover. Have a look by all means but don’t be lulled into a false sense of security, if it’s making a noise, it ain’t well & may well prove to be worse than it sounds. If you leave it too long, the needle rollers start to break up, this will damage the internal bearing surface of the layshaft cluster & the resultant swarf won’t do the overdrive much good either, if you have one. But if a needle roller escapes & gets caught in the meshing gears, it makes an awfully loud & very expensive bang to which I can personally testify! If you’ve already got the car partially stripped, remove the box & strip it for a rebuild, they are very easy to work on.