TR6 Telescopic Damper Conversion

I am considering removing the tired lever arm shocks an my six and replacing them with a telescopic conversion.

The TR Shop are advertising a kit for around £120, which seems good value.

Anyone with experience of this kit. I believe the dampers they supply and high pressure gas items of Japanese origin.

Any opinions welcome

Many Thanks

AT

If you go for the conversion, the consensus seems to be that a kit with the 3 point fitting is best - 2 bolts where the original lever arm connects and a further fixing point at the base where your bump stop is currently fitted. Quite a few of the 'value' kits on the market are 2 point only.

It is the best & most cost effective improvement you will probably ever make but go for the 3 point fixing. £120 seems cheap including shocks but I don’t know anything about the Jap shocks being offered so research it. Most popular choices are; Konis’ – very good, long lived, quiet expensive but not adjustable without disconnecting – or Spax (which I have) equally as good IMO, not so expensive, may not last as long as Konis’ but are adjustable on the car.

Hi

being a Scrooge I decided to fit the conversion you are thinking of last winter.

Admittedly I have only managed about 400 miles due to the poor summer, but it is certainly a vast improvement over the lever arms and so far no problems.

Any change to telescopic rear shocks is better than the lever arm squat.

John

Most popular choices are; Konis’ – very good, long lived, quiet expensive but not adjustable without disconnecting – or Spax (which I have) equally as good IMO, not so expensive, may not last as long as Konis’ but are adjustable on the car.

If you go for dampers that are adjustable on the car, periodically check the grub screws on the adjusters. Mine (Gaz) both came loose within 1,000 miles or so of fitting. Result is that you think you're adjusting them while grovelling around under the car, but actually nothing is happening :(