Circuit of Ireland Retrospective Trial

Guest tr4atony

Guest tr4atony

Ive just completed the Circuit of Ireland rally with my Tr4 and I think you should all know that its an absolute blast - about 700 rally miles, 25 autotests, regularities with speed changes, long quick transit stages and some real tough roads. Great for a TR, but only 3 of us there.

A better organising crew and group of people you could not meet.

My total costs for about a 1700 mile jaunt were about £500 including ferries, fuel (twin 45's so plenty) and 3 nights in a hotel. Good value I thought.

The event is running on 8th, 9th and 10th October 2004 and you can see further stuff on the Ulster Automobile Club website.

Please support this fine event next year and help the UAC maintain what has to be one of the better and most accessible events for our sort of car to have a crack at.

Regards

Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Autotests .... is that when the driver is in the car on his/her own?

I know the Irish like this format but personaly I find it a bit scary (i.e. it would put m,e off entering)!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tr4atony

tests noting to be worried about - i tried to do them in the right order and failed about half - when I went wrong i just got lots of clutch in and gave it hell. fantastic - bit of a crowd pleaser too!

the secret is to tootle round if youre new to it (I should have done this but the more MAX's I got the more MAX I went!) and get a time - a max means the fastest time +30 secs which you would need to be parked to do on most.

Also hydraulic handbrakes are allowed on this event

Regards

Tony

Guest mrodbert

I agree with Tony, driving tests are nothing to worry about so long as you're sensible. All the ones I've done (CRA, HERO, HRCR) have had two people up - Navigator calling the route, driver driving.

The key thing to remember is to take it at a speed you're comfortable with. No one says you HAVE to go fast. On HRCR events a hit cone is 10 secs, a lifetime on any normal test, so better to get a slow clear than a fast with pens. On long distance multi-day events, just avoid the red mist as there's always still a long way to go.

The other thing is that my experience is that in a TR2/3/4 you need to get the back out using the handbrake if you want to set a competitive time. This requires a) either a handbrake extension or a transmission tunnel handbrake (like the works cars) B) some skill c) some practise.

So don't worry; relax; have some fun.

Guest tr4atony

How about a Register team for next year ? 3 cars required and only MG's and Mini's had teams in this time around.

Hydraulic handbrakes are legal for this! Im looking hard at what can be done legally with the HB. Steve Hall at TR Enterprises has apparently tried all sorts with only very limited success - but is looking again - may be worth a chat.

Regards

Tony