suspension arms

Hi,

I am in the process of stripping and re-building the front suspension on my early TR4 (CT7786 O). During a few discussions with other TR4 owners and traders at Malvern I was told that my car should have steel and nylon bushes at the inboard end of the lower wishbone arms.

I am a little confused, as I have pressed in Bronze bushes and steel sleeves, which fit on the fulcrum pins. :mellow:

I purchased a couple of the nylon bushes at Malvern, to see if they were a straight swap for the bronze ones. However once I got them home, the diameter is not the same (see picture). :(

Do I have some home made modification from my cars dark past, or is this a known production fit, perhaps from TR3 or something. :huh:

Any help would be greatly valued, as always.

Richard.

Hi,

I am in the process of stripping and re-building the front suspension on my early TR4 (CT7786 O). During a few discussions with other TR4 owners and traders at Malvern I was told that my car should have steel and nylon bushes at the inboard end of the lower wishbone arms.

I am a little confused, as I have pressed in Bronze bushes and steel sleeves, which fit on the fulcrum pins. :mellow:

I purchased a couple of the nylon bushes at Malvern, to see if they were a straight swap for the bronze ones. However once I got them home, the diameter is not the same (see picture). :(

Do I have some home made modification from my cars dark past, or is this a known production fit, perhaps from TR3 or something. :huh:

Any help would be greatly valued, as always.

Richard.

The nylon bushes are for late 4/4a your brass ones are correct for 2/3/early 4 with 0 degrees castor, although your chassis number would suggest that yours should have the later type arms.

Stuart

Edited by stuart

Thanks Stuart,

I have had a look at the trunnions and it seems my whole set up is 0 degree castor, on the right side anyway. :blink: LHS has not been stripped yet.....anything is possible :rolleyes:

Next question to anyone out there is.... Where do I get the split bronze bushes for the "big" end of the suspension arms?

The smaller bushes were easy to find at Malvern, but I didnt find any big ones. Also Moss catalogue only seems to show the nylon ones.

Any help would be greatly valued.

Thanks,

Richard.

Thanks Stuart,

I have had a look at the trunnions and it seems my whole set up is 0 degree castor, on the right side anyway. :blink: LHS has not been stripped yet.....anything is possible :rolleyes:

Next question to anyone out there is.... Where do I get the split bronze bushes for the "big" end of the suspension arms?

The smaller bushes were easy to find at Malvern, but I didnt find any big ones. Also Moss catalogue only seems to show the nylon ones.

Any help would be greatly valued.

Thanks,

Richard.

TR Shop 0208 9956621 have new arms with the bushes ready fitted if I remember rightly.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
  • 2 weeks later...
TR Shop 0208 9956621 have new arms with the bushes ready fitted if I remember rightly.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

I have access to a set of adjustable reamers at work, so I will ream the existing bushes to to accept the nylon ones. Alot of hand reaming, but it will permit me to replace the nylon inserts for wear in the future.

Richard.