Trouble shooting.

Hi All,

Help required from the knowledgable. I had a great weekend at Malvern (my first) until it was time to drive home. My TR4A spluttered and coughed and eventually came to a stop, and refused to start again ! We had to be relayed home and its in the garage with me scratching my head. Ive taken the fuel pump off and checked the diaphram which seems ok (No visable splits), although there was some muck in the glass bowl. Ive put it all back together and it will start, but ticks over and runs very rough and erratic, and wont respond to throttle. Thats as far as Ive got ! Any ideas and thoughts welcome. :(

Kev.w

Sounds like points closed, or rotor arm defective, to me, possibly condensor or coil. If you turn the engine over with the fuel pipe to the carbs disconnected, you should see petrol spurting out. If very weak flow then take the pipe from the tank off the pump and blow through it with a tyre pump or compressor- not too much pressure. This may clear any blockages in the pipe. Being twin carbs, as long as fuel is getting there it would be unlikely for both carbs to be defective. Have you got electronic ignition, a Petronix maybe? If so make sure that the rotor arm hasn't worn away the top of the "box".

Sounds like points closed, or rotor arm defective, to me, possibly condensor or coil. If you turn the engine over with the fuel pipe to the carbs disconnected, you should see petrol spurting out. If very weak flow then take the pipe from the tank off the pump and blow through it with a tyre pump or compressor- not too much pressure. This may clear any blockages in the pipe. Being twin carbs, as long as fuel is getting there it would be unlikely for both carbs to be defective. Have you got electronic ignition, a Petronix maybe? If so make sure that the rotor arm hasn't worn away the top of the "box".

Hi Rhodri,

Thanks for your reply and advice. I've checked the points and they are opening. I haven't checked the condensor or coil yet (not sure how to do this apart from fitting new). I have disconnected the fuel line to the carbs and manually primed the fuel pump and fuel is pulsating out. No electronic ignition fitted. The chap who brought us home (Relay) checked for a spark at one of the plugs by fitting a gadget between the plug cap and the plug and said that there was a good spark.

Kev.w

Hi Kev

Does sound very much like points and condenser. If the points are pitted and blue the condensers gone, just replace with new points and condenser as a starting point . Points and condenser will cause cutting out, misfiring on an epic scale and usually happen as an immediate event, I take it you arrived at Malvern OK?

Cheers

Darren

Hi Rhodri & Dazzer,

Thanks to the both of you for your advise ! Problem is now solved (subject to road test !). I've changed the points, condensor and rotor and hey presto fired up first time and feels very responsive to the throttle. :D Dont know what part was the culprit, maybe the condensor, but now thinking about fitting electronic ignition as my first upgrade due to not owning the car for that long. Once again, thanks for your input guys. Shame the recovery driver didn't try fitting these parts while I was one mile away from Malvern ! Maybe £1.30 per mile x 150 miles each way (300 miles) seemed the better option for his boss's company ! :P

Cheers !!

Kev.w

Kev

Glad it's going again.

Until you decide to change to electronic ignition, guess what spares I'd reckon you ought to have with you.

They are not expensive and a good "get you home " fix when you are miles from home on a cold wet windy night !!

Safe motoring

Bob

Kev

Glad it's going again.

Until you decide to change to electronic ignition, guess what spares I'd reckon you ought to have with you.

They are not expensive and a good "get you home " fix when you are miles from home on a cold wet windy night !!

Safe motoring

Bob

Cheers Bob, lesson learnt. ;)

Kev.w

Edited by kev.w