Having got my TR reliable now Im trying to sort out a programme of events to do. What sort of stuff are you all doing and what regs / papers do I need to get for the car prior to competing ??

Regards

Tony

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mrodbert

Tony,

First - isnt it great that we've now got our own forum  :)

Secondly - to celebrate, I think I'm going to put a item up collecting all the accumulated wisdom (sic) from my first year of historic rallying. I know we have different views on car preparation so some things you may disagree with, but I just think thats one of the benefits of the forum. Hope you do too.

As far as events go, it depends. The main options seem to be stage (which I dont do) or road, and one day or longer. I think its worth joining the HRCR anyway, if you haven't already as they publish everything, including most Hero and CRA events.

If you want to do HRCR events you'll need an MSA non-race national B licence (form and fee, no test or medical) which runs from Jan to Dec, NOT rolling 12 months. I bought mine in October and now I need another one  :( . For Hero and CRA events you just need to join their membership.

You can get a car passport from the MSA, but I haven't needed one, we just get scrutineered on the day. I think the passport is just if you have lots of non-standard performance bits and need to keep proving the're ok. If your car is pretty standard we were advised by HRCR not to bother. I can tell you my scrutineering experiences if you like, but they seem to vary quite a bit depending on event. The best thing is to talk to the organisers and the HRCR in advance, so no surprises on either side.

Having done the Winter Challenge and Le Jog in 2002, as well as some HRCR stuff, I dont think the marriage/ bank balance can stand another big one. So I think we'll be doing a few HRCR road rally events and maybe a big one again in 2004. Favorite seems to be the Regis, Targa Rusticana, Classic Illuminations maybe.

Hope to see you there,

Mark