Petrol Smell in boot - sorted!

Over time there have been a number of posts on this Forum about persistent petrol smells in the boot. Likewise, I've had a fairly strong whiff of petrol in the boot for the entire 4 years or so of TR6 ownership, but having investigated the cause many times have never found a leak or resolved the problem.....until now :rolleyes: . In preparation for the Le Mans trip, I've been checking/replacing various parts. As the pump to PRV hose was of unknown vintage, I changed it with a replacement braided hose from Moss. Result is the petrol smell has completely gone! The original hose and unions appeared sound and absolutely didn't leak, therefore I can only conclude that petrol vapour was able to permeate the rubber hose.

Richard

I'm convinced that I didn't have any leaks whatsoever from the pipe unions. I've previously wrapped bits of tissue around them and checked after driving - not the slightest trace of petrol evident.

Ive had problems before & not been able to trace any visible sign of a leak but wipe the connections clean & leave for a few days & then wipe again with a clean tissue; the leak is so small it evaporates immedietly but look for brown staining, it's a dead give away. ;)

Current unleaded fuel will permeate traditional flexible pipe formulations in time, without any apparent visible evidence of leakage, or even deterioration.

Simple answer is to replace any flexible pipework of unknown provenance with current spec stuff.

To check for leakage at joints, wind some ordinary electrical insulating tape around the joint. The slightest trace of leakage will irreversibly melt the adhesive.

Cheers,

Alec