Alternative Alternator

Guest Wayne S

Guest Wayne S

Hi All,

I wonder if you can help me here. I have seen a number of TR4s running smaller more modern looking alternators.

I know people like Revington do an uprated conversion kit for them, but does anyone know what alternator it is? What car it comes from orginally and what modifications need to be done to make them fit.

We are just about tired of changing the Lucas ones every 6 months.

Thanks in advance

Wayne

Before I started the restoration of my 3A, I've been searching for an answer about this matter too. And here's what I've found out: 4 possible options:

(1) A Nippon Denso or (2) Mitsubishi alternator for a 89 Suzuki Swift will fit nicely, ampere-wise too. The Mitsubishi is an after market product!. A wise word: when you go to the shop, do not ask for an alternator to be installed into a classic car! You will pay top money! Ask for an alternator to be installed into your old and tired Suzuki...

(3) An other alternative is a Nippon Denso from a Kubota tractor engine. That's even smaller. The French manufacturer of the little plastic Aixam car(?) use Kubota diesel engines. These engines have the same small Nippon Denso alternator. But... I've found out that these small Kubota's are very expensive! Best to search in the argricultural section of the scrapyard!

(4) Being returned to the Saab 96-front, I really believe that the original Bosch alternator (35 Amp/h) of this Saab will fit. It's even on the right hand side of the engine!

In all cases you will have to manufacture a fitting swivel bolt. And you'll have to observe the position of the pulley in relation to the other pullys.

When you PM me with your email address, I will send you some pictures of the alternator in my car.

Menno

Wayne,

I fitted an alternator to my 4A and it lasted 2 weeks before starting to overcharge, I got it fixed (for £10!!) and also spent about £40 on 'Thermotec' heat insulation tape which I very carefully wrapped around the exhaust manifold, did it on the kitchen table and ended up with black hand prints all round the house, wife not amused. No problems since,

I have heard of a heat shield but I don't know any other details,

Good luck,

Andrew