I recently bought a spin on oil filter conversion kit for my TR2, however when I've received it, the information indicates that it can't be used for TR2s!! :angry:

I've been offered my money back, but does anyone know if a suitable one is available?

Many thanks...

Martin

The only difference that I can see is that early 2's had a bypass filter and not full flow.

I suspect that the design of the oil filter housing is the difference......the aluminium part that is bolted to the block.

Perhaps if you aquired a 3 or 4 housing you could then fit it. I have had this conversion for some time now and it certainly makes filter changing easier.....so I am more likely to do it more often.

Might be an idea to check what filter housing you have as it may have been upgraded over the years anyway!

Regards Dick.

Hi Martin,

It's only recently that the spin-on kit for the Purolator alloy filter head has been limited to fitting only the later full flow type. The full flow Purolator was used from TR3 engine, TS 12650 E, and can be identified by having a relief valve in the top of the housing.

The spin-on kit was prone to oil leaks, so perhaps it's been redesigned. It appears that just one kit is supplied now for both the Purolator filter head and the later Tecalemit filter head used on TR4A's.

I suggest you email some of the mainstream parts suppliers for more info on why the spin-on kit is now specified only for full flow Purolators. Outside the UK, Moss Motors US, The Roadster Factory and British Parts Northwest are very helpful. There may be a supplier out there who has a NOS spin-on kit that can be used on the non full flow filter head, if your TR2 still has the original.

Best regards,

Viv.