Diff: backlash planet gears

Hi,

I have a lot of backlash on the planet gears. The gears themselves look ok. No excessive wear on planet. and sun- gears. Is it possible to exchange the cross pin and the thrust washers shims, with the diff. cage in place. The brown bible mentions only, how to do, in the frame of a total overhaul.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Kind regards, Patrick

Hi,

I have a lot of backlash on the planet gears. The gears themselves look ok. No excessive wear on planet. and sun- gears. Is it possible to exchange the cross pin and the thrust washers shims, with the diff. cage in place. The brown bible mentions only, how to do, in the frame of a total overhaul.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Kind regards, Patrick

yes. i replaced the thrust washers in mine without taking the crown wheel out.

richard

yes. i replaced the thrust washers in mine without taking the crown wheel out.

richard

Did it much to the amount of back lash Richard? I ask this because backlash by the items in the differential cage

isn't that important in terms of break down or damaging other parts. Backlash in a lot of places, from the gearbox to the wheels is adding up, and I wonder if renewing one element will be perceptible?

Did it much to the amount of back lash Richard? I ask this because backlash by the items in the differential cage

isn't that important in terms of break down or damaging other parts. Backlash in a lot of places, from the gearbox to the wheels is adding up, and I wonder if renewing one element will be perceptible?

yes it did cut down the clonking.especially after reversing.

the cupped shims were down to 40 thou from 62. & one of the plastic shims was gone.

richard

Richard,

I just measured the cupped shims.

One is down to 0.048 one to 0.056. Both shims have a 60 stamped on the backside. I assume this means they ought to be 0,060"

The copper thrust washer from the sun gears are both 0,045". How thick should they be actually?

What plastic shims are you talking about?

patrick

Richard,

I just measured the cupped shims.

One is down to 0.048 one to 0.056. Both shims have a 60 stamped on the backside. I assume this means they ought to be 0,060"

The copper thrust washer from the sun gears are both 0,045". How thick should they be actually?

What plastic shims are you talking about?

patrick

sorry for delay replying. the 45 thou shims. early ones are metal later ones plastic.[delrin i think]

richard