Hi All

I'm trying to get my front suspension back on my tr4.

Bought a kit on Ebay with all the washers and bushes etc.

on the lower wishbones, the inner metal bushes don't fit on the pins that are on the chassis, they seem to small allthough the nylon bush fits nicely over the metal bush.

Is this normal and do I have to make the inner diameter wider or have I got the wrong ones.

The bushes that fit on the lower trunnions had to be made a bit wider to fit but they are brass and were easy to widen with sandpaper on a shaft in my drill. These inner ones seem a bit tougher to me!

Any advice apppreciated

Tx, John.

Edited by mandarawessels

Did you in fact remove the old steel bushes? They sometimes rust themselves on and look as if they are the pin itself. My new ones were a very close fit, but went on easily enough.

Did you in fact remove the old steel bushes? They sometimes rust themselves on and look as if they are the pin itself. My new ones were a very close fit, but went on easily enough.

Hi

Yes the old ones: 2 pulled of easy, 2 I had to get the anglegrinder out!(carefully)

pins are nice and shiny, new ones all 4 won't go on though.

How much force can I use?

Tx, John.

Edited by mandarawessels

I tapped them on with a hammer. They do not revolve on the pin- the nylon bushes revolve on the steel tubes. These steel tubes are gripped by the nut on the end of the pin, onto the pin itself, so the whole nylon set up must be slightly narrower than the steel bush to allow rotation. After cleaning the pin with emery paper to get rid of the rust I greased it to prevent rusting. Like you, some of the bushes stayed on and I used judicious heat to remove them . My bushes etc were from Moss.

I tapped them on with a hammer. They do not revolve on the pin- the nylon bushes revolve on the steel tubes. These steel tubes are gripped by the nut on the end of the pin, onto the pin itself, so the whole nylon set up must be slightly narrower than the steel bush to allow rotation. After cleaning the pin with emery paper to get rid of the rust I greased it to prevent rusting. Like you, some of the bushes stayed on and I used judicious heat to remove them . My bushes etc were from Moss.

I just noticed that one of the 4 new steel bushes slides on easy -maybe to easy- on to the pin!

the other 3 are def. narrower. I'll just have to increase the internal diameter of the other 3 I suppose.

Thanks anyway,

cheers, John

I just noticed that one of the 4 new steel bushes slides on easy -maybe to easy- on to the pin!

the other 3 are def. narrower. I'll just have to increase the internal diameter of the other 3 I suppose.

Thanks anyway,

cheers, John

John If you have access to a micrometer it may be worth checking the ID of the bushes and the OD of the pins just to make sure that you have a correct set. Most of the kits now are just picked by the suppliers from seperate bins and then bagged up and sent out and its not unknown to get anomilies in the components.

Stuart.

John If you have access to a micrometer it may be worth checking the ID of the bushes and the OD of the pins just to make sure that you have a correct set. Most of the kits now are just picked by the suppliers from seperate bins and then bagged up and sent out and its not unknown to get anomilies in the components.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

You're probably right there.

There is a difference of 0.02 mm betweeb id and od.

I managed to grind 1 sleeve down and it is now on the pin; 3 to go!!

What about the slightly loose one, will it be held firm in place by the nut? what is the tolerance?

Tx, John.

Edited by mandarawessels
Thanks Stuart,

You're probably right there.

There is a difference of 0.02 mm betweeb id and od.

I managed to grind 1 sleeve down and it is now on the pin; 3 to go!!

What about the slightly loose one, will it be held firm in place by the nut? what is the tolerance?

Tx, John.

John once it is assembled the outer washer and nut will hold it in the correct position although it may help to apply a little "Araldite" inside the steel bush when assembling, ensuring that none of it escapes around the bushings.

Stuart.

John once it is assembled the outer washer and nut will hold it in the correct position although it may help to apply a little "Araldite" inside the steel bush when assembling, ensuring that none of it escapes around the bushings.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

What is this stuff called Araldite?

Cheeers, john.

Thanks Stuart,

What is this stuff called Araldite?

Cheeers, john.

Its a 2 part epoxy glue that has very high strength capability. Available from most good DIY shops.

Stuart.