Help required 'J' Type overdrive

Hi,

I am currently attempting to separate a 'J' type overdrive from the gearbox and expected it to slide of the main shaft easily. After removing the bolts it separates by about 5mm and then wont move any further.

If I turn the output shaft, it is quite stiff, but does turn the main shaft and gears.

I do not know the history of the box, and it has no oil in it.

Could the mainshaft be rusted to the O/D or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.

Graeme

Hi,

I am currently attempting to separate a 'J' type overdrive from the gearbox and expected it to slide of the main shaft easily. After removing the bolts it separates by about 5mm and then wont move any further.

If I turn the output shaft, it is quite stiff, but does turn the main shaft and gears.

I do not know the history of the box, and it has no oil in it.

Could the mainshaft be rusted to the O/D or am I missing something?

Thanks for any help.

Graeme

your overdrive will not come apart because the last time it was used it was disengaged under load.

should have been disengaged with the clutch depressed.

the friction between the clutch lining and annunlas is holding it toghether.

try hanging the gbox from a beam/girder tyed to the rear flange. 2"between the floor and and gearbox bell housing.

now hit the gearbox down with a rubber hammer it should come apart before your arms give in.and will drop to the floor without warning.

if not get 2 paint scrapers and fit in your 5mm gap.then you need something in between the paint scrapers

and pry apart.the gap will gradually get bigger.

i have used both methods lots of times without doing any damage.and they can really take some seperating.

if it had been disengaged corectly the only thing holding it toghether is the gasket.

richard