Spares News Typical Rebuilders 1984-86

The following is a copy of a letter which I sent to Steve Redway last month and which is published in TRaction 223. I am posting it here on the off-chance that some of the cars may now be in the hands of non-members of the TR Register, or that forum members may know something about the cars and their original rebuilders.

Dear Steve,

I was reminded by your celebration of the fiftieth issue of the Rebuilders Diaries column in TRaction 222, that the current contributors have some earlier, and possibly forgotten, predecessors.

In May 1983, I took over as editor of the long-since defunct TR Spares News. For the benefit of younger and more recent recruits to the TR Register, I should explain that this was a newsletter, published alternately with what was then a quarterly TRaction. In order to add a little meat to the basic, but essential news concerning shortages of vital spares, recently discovered spares mountains (usually acquired by the enterprising Petes – Cox and Buckles), price rises and New Spares Fund initiatives, I asked for anyone embarking on the rebuild of a TR to contribute a few words from time-to-time on their progress. I was delighted to hear from a number of volunteers working on a representative selection of TRs, and in February 1984 the first set of Typical Rebuild reports appeared.

Some of these sagas were still running when I retired from the editorial role in May 1986, and whilst I know of the outcome of a couple of the cars, I would love to hear from any of the following Typical Rebuilders, or the current owners of the cars.

Peter Dowson (TR2, TS8314 - OSG495 “Osgood”)

Graham Shipman (TR3A – 70DTT “Flintstone Flyer”)

Peter Trow (TR4, 1722KX - CT22267)

Mrs. Wendy Bissell (TR4A – HJJ963C “Laurence”)

Quentin McLaren (TR4A – DJA748C “Deejay”)

Steve Banks (TR5, CP29880 – LMB968G)

Andrew Lee (TR6 – SPF158M)

It’s interesting to note that even then, there was no TR3 but less surprising that there were no TR7/8s since these were still relatively new and, hence, either readily available cheaply in a usable condition or not economically restorable.

From a personal perspective, I can’t help feeling that the challenges of rebuilding a car have changed over the intervening years, from repairing components or locating suitable used replacement parts, to something of a lottery in choosing new, reproduction parts which are prone to be of inferior quality to the parts being replaced. If only there were a directory listing the dwindling number of small engineering companies who still have the skills and equipment to recondition components and manufacture small batches of those items which are suitable for reclaiming instead of importing poor reproduction parts.

Brian Chidwick

(bjmole1-trsparesnews@yahoo.co.uk)

• 3 months later...

Idly scanning the TRGB website this morning, I happened to recognise a familiar registration, reminding me that I still haven't learned the fate of some of these cars, but at least 3 appear to be around.

Peter Dowson's TR2, TS8314 - OSG495 "Osgood"

Currently for sale at TRGB

Graham Shipman's TR3A - 70DTT "Flintstone Flyer"

Still owned and enjoyed by Graham somewhere in Norfolk.

Peter Trow's TR4, 1722KX - CT22267

Apparently advertised for sale in Somerset last November but no idea where it is now.

Quentin McLaren's TR4A - DJA748C "Deejay"

I'm sure I heard from Quentin, or read in TRaction many years ago that this was written off in a major accident, but I have lost the details. I guess there is a chance that the remains may have been bought and rebuilt. Perhaps it's on Jon Marshall's register under new ownership?

Any updates on these, or any of the other Typical Rebuilders or their cars would be appreciated. It would be nice to get them (and their previous and current owners) together at Malvern as an example of early rebuilds when parts (and cash) were not as readily available as they are today.

Edited by BrianC