tracking

Guest tobyholland

You cant really measure it with a tape as too much gets in the way; around 20 years ago I made a simple, initial track setting device out of 3 bits of 2" x 1" wood bolted together to form a \___/ shape with 2 nails banged through the top of the \ / bits so the points of the nails can be adjusted to touch the centre of the wheel rims by moving the \ / bits on the friction in the bolts. It’s a bit fiddly but you can set it to the front centre of the rims & then move it to the back centre & see what toe in you have; very crude but I’ve initially set the tracking on cars many, many times using this device & so far have got around 80% accuracy with no further adjustment necessary! It gets stashed in the those darkest places in the garage never visited when not required!

Guest tobyholland

wot i done and thanks for all you views,,

im a carpenter and have two 4ft levels so i clamped one to each disc whilst jacked up and wheels,,measured across til i got a same paralel mesurements ,,it seemed to work,,still have to have it checked,,

by the way a full turn on the track rod ends seemed to make a lot of travel

thanks all again

toby