PI Woes - Anyone in London area?

Hi,

After selling my CP TR a few years ago I decided to buy another. So have aquired a really nice CR machine.

Had to drive it 450 miles home. I know that the PI system is a bit temperamental. I understand the PI setup but not confident to start getting busy without diagnostics etc!!

Anyone in London area who forum members have confidence in? Any forum members fancy having a look?!

Oh, Starts and idles fine. Seems to cruise at 3k rpm on motorway. Wont rev or pull past 4. When ticking over it misses and judders a bit till it clears at say 2k.

I'm thinking injectors/seals. Cars done 22k miles genuine. Has sat but been used sparingly. New lucas pump. Orig MU (although I have a brand new one that came with it). I doubt the prob's electrical but who knows? Leads look new but could be 15 years old!!!!

Help!

Welcome to the forum. Can’t help with close up diagnostics but first thing to check the ignition timing is correct & the sparks are in good order; also check the colour of the plugs, is it running rich or lean?

Lack of power at higher revs. is a typical symptom of low fuel line pressure. Cylinder fluffing at tick over is, again, typical & usually associated with injector ‘O’ ring failure &/or throttle butterfly set up; the CR series linkage is not particularly good here or easy to get right.

Of course the above is only a generalisation & the problems could be down to a number of other things. Loads of info in the archive about how to test, diagnose & set up the Lucas PI so if no volunteers come forward, a read through these might give you more confidence. It’s all fairly straight forward as long as you don’t get too ambitious & start fiddling with the M/U settings.

Try JY Classics in high wycombe 20 minutes from west london, John maintains my tr6 and seems to be very knowledgable in these cars.

Thanks. I intend to pull each injector and see what it's doing. I suspect that's why it fluffing up to 2000rpm.

I also suspect fuel pressure so will investigate that. If no joy i'll drop them a line...

Cheers