Engine and Gearbox

Hi All

Finally got the rebuilt engine and gearbox (with overdrive) in the car after about 18 months. Not without problems some of which are still to be resolved!

However, the engine and box went straight in! Considering it was a conversion from early non overdrive box to a J type overdrive box I was amazed how well it went. All bolt holes lined up perfectly first time although getting all the bolts and nuts in and tightened at the gearbox end was a bit of a task.

Now to get all ancilliaries on and try to get it started. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Which brings me to a question:

I'm fitting solid aluminium rack mounts. How do I centralise the rack before tighteneing it up? Is it just a case of lining up the flanges on the rack equidistant from the holes in the chassis? or is it a bit more technical.

I have attached a couple of pictures of the new engine and box in situ just for interest:

Thanks again to all those who have provided help, advice and encouragement.

Cheers

Tony

Tony,

I don't think that it is quite as simple as Dan suggests.

There are a number of factors to consider:

1. Having an equal number of turns of the steering wheel from either side of dead centre (straight on) to each lock.
  2. Making sure that both wheels are pointing forwards when the rack is correctly centred. i.e adjusting the track rod ends
  3. Having the column in the correct position so indicators cancel correctly
  4. Having the steering wheel in the right place.

taking all of these points into consideration in the correct order is what you need to do.

Whilst it may be annoying not having the steering wheel on in the correct place, imagine how annoying it would be if you couldn't turn around corners properly because the steering rack was in the wrong place. Perhaps an extreme example but I am sure you get the general idea!

Good luck.

David