Speedo/Tacho cables

I'm converting my 6 from LHD to RHD and I'm not sure as to how the speedometer and tachometer cables pass through the firewall to get behind the dash.

I've read all the previous posts on this subject but none tell me whether both the cables enter through the one hole/grommet or is it one hole/grommet each.

All the pics I find on RHD cars seem to have only one hole suggesting both cables use the same entry point, but this seems a little tight.

Thanks as always

Dex

I'm converting my 6 from LHD to RHD and I'm not sure as to how the speedometer and tachometer cables pass through the firewall to get behind the dash.

I've read all the previous posts on this subject but none tell me whether both the cables enter through the one hole/grommet or is it one hole/grommet each.

All the pics I find on RHD cars seem to have only one hole suggesting both cables use the same entry point, but this seems a little tight.

Thanks as always

Dex

i swaped my car to rhd drive.both tacho speedo should go through the same hole. but its seemed all a bit tight /clutered.so i made a second hole for the speedo cable to the right. i can send pics if you want.

richard

Right, had to refresh my memory this morning as it’s just not what it used to be!

Tacho cable comes out of the dizzy & through a grommet underneath the battery tray on the nearside of the car; it then routes behind the heater to the RH side of the car & into the tacho. This is quiet a torturous route and the original (standard) length cables can appear too short if you don’t get it right; for this reason suppliers now sell the standard & extended length to allow an easier route; I fitted the standard without any problems but this was done as the car was being rebuilt.

Spedo routes from the angle drive & clips along the underside of the car, goes up in to the engine bay on the offside & through a grommet in the small triangular plate (under the bonnet), bends through 90 degrees & though a grommet located just below & to the right of (looking from the front) the clutch master cylinder (RHD) straight into the back of the spedo.

Edited by Richard Crawley
Right, had to refresh my memory this morning as it’s just not what it used to be!

Tacho cable comes out of the dizzy & through a grommet underneath the battery tray on the nearside of the car; it then routes behind the heater to the RH side of the car & into the tacho. This is quiet a torturous route and the original (standard) length cables can appear too short if you don’t get it right; for this reason suppliers now sell the standard & extended length to allow an easier route; I fitted the standard without any problems but this was done as the car was being rebuilt.

Spedo routes from the angle drive & clips along the underside of the car, goes up in to the engine bay on the offside & through a grommet in the small triangular plate (under the bonnet), bends through 90 degrees & though a grommet located just below & to the right of (looking from the front) the clutch master cylinder (RHD) straight into the back of the spedo.

That's how I run mine when I converted the car to RHD, I seem to remember the tacho was a bit of a b*****r.

Ron

Thanks Gents

Richard, I drilled a hole in the afore mentioned positon for the speedo cable and used the routes as you described for both the Tacho and Speedo. Bingo everything fits.

Thanks again to all who replied

Dex

Richard, I drilled a hole in the afore mentioned positon for the speedo cable and used the routes as you described for both the Tacho and Speedo.

I'm quiet surprised you actually had to drill a hole; I have no experience with converting left to right but I thought the bulkheads would have been standard for both: obviously not!

That is surprising, the holes were already there in mine [1975]

Ron

The hole was there for the tacho as that is the one used for either LHD or RHD but it was just blank in front of where the speedo goes. Maybe they altered it Ron in the later models as mine is a December '71.

Dex