Rack & Pinion steering conversion

Can anyone advise me as to the best solution for the replacement of the central horn push and indicator assembly when fitting the rack & pinion steering conversion. Is there a column mounted indicator switch available that incorporates a horn push?

With thanks in anticipation. Pete P

Can anyone advise me as to the best solution for the replacement of the central horn push and indicator assembly when fitting the rack & pinion steering conversion. Is there a column mounted indicator switch available that incorporates a horn push?

With thanks in anticipation. Pete P

Pete I have used a Mini indicator switch that has a horn push on the end of the stalk and also using the wiper washer stalk that goes with it, so using a TR6 wiper motor and electric washers it gives all the functions of your normal everyday car.If you bore out the centre plastic ring slightly it fits down over the column outer and clamps with the original mini fitting. You need to alter the loom to suit but its fairly easy as the mini uses the same Lucas colours. You will also need to make up a bit of cowl for it. I have also seen TR4 type indicator stalk used but you need to weld brackets to the column to fit them and for the cowls and it still leaves the problem of the horn.

Stuart.

A friend and fellow 3a owner in Germany has fitted a device that allows you to keep the head unit, although it does revolve with the steering wheel and doesn't self cancel.

A while back when i considered doing a conversion it was 120 euros.

I don't have the supplier info but here's a pic..................I hope

Steve R

The new split column I bought to go with my rack wasnt drilled down the centre, preventing anything completely invisible to be fitted. Instead, I took off a few steering wheel slip ring units from cars with multifunction steering wheels at my local scrap yard. I found one that was very closely matched to the diameter of the rear of the steering wheel, and have glued it on to the back of the TR wheel. The other end is mounted flexibly to the column.

From the driving position the ring unit is practically invisible, and allows the character of the wheel mounted indicators to remain, even if the control does spin around with the wheel.

The horn is switched on via a relay, so the load on the wires isnt too great.

Here's a pic:

post-584-1191273402_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps!

post-584-1191273402_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for your replies on this topic. I will probably try the Mini clamp-on indicator switch with the horn push, suggested by Stuart, in the short term as this solution seems to be the easiest and most straight forward. Although, I was impressed with the slip-ring idea and will definitely look into that at some point.

With thanks

Pete P.