Clutch Shaft Dimensions

I finally got the clutch release bearing sleeve from the supplier (took over 3weeks from the time I placed my order so I am not best pleased about that) and set about doing a dry fit before cleaning/greasing components, etc. The problem that I have is that I cannot fit the clutch fork pin with the anti-rattle spring included. My concern is that when I sent my gearbox away for rebuilding they may have given me a shaft that was not the original one from my gearbox. I can fit the pin if I do not include the anti-rattle spring.

Is it possible that I have the wrong clutch shaft, I have measured the distance from the end face to the edge of the hole and this is 172.5mm. Does anyone have a spare that they can check this measurement?

The anti-rattle spring that I have has 3.5 coils with ground flat ends that when compressed fully is 6mm. Is this absolutely essential or can this be left off. What would the consequence be (apart from maybe an annoying rattle).

Simon

Edited by simon iregbu

This may sound silly, but are you fitting the spring in the correct place ? - the spring should be outside the bellhousing, and fits on the shaft (against the actuating lever) between that and the bellhousing ?

If it wont fit here and allow the fork and pin to be correctly fittted the dimensions of something are wrong. Probably distance of hole from the actuating lever

mike

I finally got the clutch release bearing sleeve from the supplier (took over 3weeks from the time I placed my order so I am not best pleased about that) and set about doing a dry fit before cleaning/greasing components, etc. The problem that I have is that I cannot fit the clutch fork pin with the anti-rattle spring included. My concern is that when I sent my gearbox away for rebuilding they may have given me a shaft that was not the original one from my gearbox. I can fit the pin if I do not include the anti-rattle spring.

Is it possible that I have the wrong clutch shaft, I have measured the distance from the end face to the edge of the hole and this is 172.5mm. Does anyone have a spare that they can check this measurement?

The anti-rattle spring that I have has 3.5 coils with ground flat ends that when compressed fully is 6mm. Is this absolutely essential or can this be left off. What would the consequence be (apart from maybe an annoying rattle).

Simon

Hi Simon,

Seems strange, a picture of your bell housing and cross shaft arrahgement might help.

Regards

Guy

Simon, I renewed the cross shaft the last time I had the gearbox out and had the same problem, after a bit of head scratching I came to the conclusion that they are made to the wrong dimensions and there wasn't much point in sending it back as the supplier said they were all the same, I fitted it without the spring and haven't had any problems.

Ron

I have the same problem- if I fit the spring then the clutch release bearing carrier binds onto the nose and won't move freely. This is because the release fork is putting side pressure on the bearing carrier. I have fitted mine without a spring and time will tell if it rattles or not.

I have thought about reducing the number of coils to shorten the spring, and I found that you can fit it onto the shaft, when everything is assembled, by "winding" it on along the coils.

Thanks , I guess I shall fit it without the spring. This morning I got underneath my TR6 and it appears that the spring is fitted but there do not look to be the same number of coils and that they appear to be more conical and I do not know if that was standard to overcome this problem or whether the PO had modified it.

Simon