TR7/8 Windscreen

Help needed please.

Just coming to the end of my TR restoration and need to get a windscreen fitted. "Mobile windscreens" have been out to fit one but found that the bottom two corners do not curve around enough, perfect fit everywhere else. The one they brought was made by Pilkinton, which they tell me is now the only supplier. Are they correct? Were the original ones laminated? If so does anyone have an original tinted one in perfect condition they would be willing to sale? Many thanks Andy

Hi there,

This might be of some use. Try RAC Windscreens. I have my insurance for the 7 through them but they also do customer fits as well I believe.

I had a large crack appear in mine back in June and I got it replaced through my insurance by RAC Auto Windscreens. Granted, it took a week to order, but they fitted it with great care and even added the chrome trim that was up until then missing from mine at no extra cost.

The screen is great quality and fitted very nicely. I paid £60 excess on my insurance policy for the replacement.

Wayne

Edited by Wayne S
  • 4 weeks later...
Hi there,

This might be of some use. Try RAC Windscreens. I have my insurance for the 7 through them but they also do customer fits as well I believe.

I had a large crack appear in mine back in June and I got it replaced through my insurance by RAC Auto Windscreens. Granted, it took a week to order, but they fitted it with great care and even added the chrome trim that was up until then missing from mine at no extra cost.

The screen is great quality and fitted very nicely. I paid £60 excess on my insurance policy for the replacement.

Wayne

Hi

I concur with Wayne, had windscreens replaced by Autoglass and both have fitted perfectly. I would say that it is a faulty batch or possable the windscreen base was not cleaned of all old sealant or has blown with rust. I waould fall first on faulty batch. If you can, cut a pattern and try on another 7.

Andy

Thank you Wayne S and Maddog for your replies. Initially tried "Mobile Windscreens" which highlighted the problem, then after Wayne S reply tried "RAC Windscreens" with the same result. My next attempt will be to obtain a new original windscreen (there are some on Ebay at the moment, albeit toughened, non tinted) to see whether the latest batch of screens are at fault (Pilkinton are the only manufacturers now).

I bought the shell and all the parts a couple of years ago from a chap who was retiring to the South of France, he bought the shell new so I am beginning to think that that is the problem.

It would be a shame if that is the case as the car is now complete, minus screen, and fitted with a new RPI 4 litre V8 engine, remote central locking with global closing, electric windows, auto dimming rear view mirror, 4 pot ventilated front discs, rear disc brakes, leather interior, wired for electric door mirrors, hyfire ignition system with Mallory Unilite distributor, Edelbrock carb. and Offenhauser manifold the list goes on.

If I get no joy with the original screen I can see no other option than to sell all the parts to recoup my costs, but that would be my last resort.

The problem I have is that the bottom corners of the screen do not wrap around enough and stand proud. Although it is beginning to look like the problem is with the body I cannot see how, as all the door, bonnet and wing lines are correct and the chrome screen trim fits perfectly.

If anyone has any ideas they would be gratefully received.

HI RE WINDSCREEN PROBLEM HAVE YOU TRIED GIVING THE BOTTOM CENTRE AND ABOUT A FOOT EACH SIDE OF BOTTOM CENTER OF THE BODY'S WINDSCREEN LIP A TAP WITH A HAMMER AND A BLOCK OF WOOD AS MAYBE IT HAS BEEN BENT FORWARD SOME TIME IN IT'S STORAGED

• 2 months later...

Update on my problem with windscreen fitting.

Collected a good original, secondhand screen from Alec Pringle this morning, cleaned it up and it fits perfectly.

So problem is with the current batch of screens.

Thanks to all who replied to my question.

Will be able to carry on and get the old girl on the road now.

Andy