American racers, wanting to race in Europe

All,

For a UK racer to compete in Europe is fairly simple. You are required to have some experience in completed races and to buy a Race 'A' licence from the MSA. For a race to be eligable for foreign drivers, it must be registered as such with the FIA - another licence fee for the 'NEAFP' permit, but one obtained by many race meeting organisers. Some time ago, I asked the MSA what US drivers on holiday in the UK or Europe would need to do to have the same priviledge, and got an obstructive answer.

I asked again, and have the following helpful reply:

Dear John,

On the basis that the National event has been inscribed onto the NEAFP USA licence holders may participate however the set up in the States is very different. The FIA sanctioned body is ACCUS who are the only organisation authorised to issue FIA International licences, therefore we would recommend that National licence holders obtain an authorisation letter from ACCUS confirming their entitlement to compete in an event inscribed onto the NEAFP calendar, which can then be presented to the organisers.

I hope that this clarifies matters, however should you require anything further please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Cheryl Lynch

Race, Speed & Kart Executive

For and on behalf of the Motor Sports Association

I find that the SCCA, which I think covers most Triumph racing, is a member of ACCUS so that in theory you could pursue the SCCA and ACCUS for the necessary letters. I don't think it means that you must have an International licence! Clearly I cannot guarantee that this will work, but it does hold out hope for the future.

Hope one day to see you on the track, here or there!

Best wishes,

John