Door check strap bracket needed

Anyone got a totally knacker drivers door with the 'loops' for the check strap pin intact?

Mine are broken and allows the door to swing open too far.

I need the loops, I think they are on a plate that can be drilled out and then I can re-weld the plate into my door.

Anyone able to help?

Anyone had this experience also?

Steve

<_< Hi Steve.

Believe me you wouldn't want to try & repair the check strap bracket after you've drilled out the spotwelds. These are located inside the door & must be drilled from the inside - don't be fooled by the spotwelds appearing on the outside of the frame! The only way to get this out is by regarding the bracket as sacrificial. New checkstrap brackets are available from the suppliers for a small cost & its not worth the risk of trying to weld bits of 'hoops' etc to find they break after the door has been painted. Fit a new bracket.

I've been there as they say.

Dave

<_< Hi Steve.

Believe me you wouldn't want to try & repair the check strap bracket after you've drilled out the spotwelds. These are located inside the door & must be drilled from the inside - don't be fooled by the spotwelds appearing on the outside of the frame! The only way to get this out is by regarding the bracket as sacrificial. New checkstrap brackets are available from the suppliers for a small cost & its not worth the risk of trying to weld bits of 'hoops' etc to find they break after the door has been painted. Fit a new bracket.

I've been there as they say.

Dave

Hi Dave

I did not realise you could buy replacemenets, do you know who has them?

Thanks.

Steve

Moss supplied them to me.I drilled out the rivets and removed the spring guide.I used heavy industrail pop rivets to fix the new ones in.I have also used a cheese headed set screw and nuts with success some years ago.The pop rivet type I have used recently.

Part no from Moss 603344 on page 220 of their parts book.

Good luck,

Harry TR5 Nutter.

Hi All

Ive been searching the forum for info on "door check straps". My drivers door recently gave its final loud clack, a small piece of metal fell off, door opens quietly now! So ive got to replace, mend it, but I'm not sure what I'm looking at here. The "bone"shaped piece on the post looks ok, the "clacky" bit that sits over the pin is missing, the gaiter is knackered. How does the piece inside the post come out? Is it welded, screwed or what? Ive push it poked it, but not yet hit it. Any help please. Mark

Moss supplied them to me.I drilled out the rivets and removed the spring guide.I used heavy industrail pop rivets to fix the new ones in.I have also used a cheese headed set screw and nuts with success some years ago.The pop rivet type I have used recently.

Part no from Moss 603344 on page 220 of their parts book.

Good luck,

Harry TR5 Nutter.

Hi Harry

Referring to the Moss Parts Book, it's item 5, Part No 613855 that I need to replace.

I did not realise they were listed, I'll shout Moss to see if they still have them.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi Steve & Mark.

Steve, your part no is correct. Clean off the primer paint inside the door local to the old bracket to reveal the spotwelds - it's fiddly & awkward to drill these out from inside but not impossible. Don't drill right through, only enough to break the spotweld. A proper spotweld drill bit is a must. You'll find that the old bracket will have to be persuaded out in pieces, easier if you have access to a gas welder. The area for the new bracket can be cleaned up with a Dremel & the new one can be welded in with stick or MIG. All this of course probably means that the door must be repainted.

Mark, remove the split pin between the door check strap bracket & the check strap (bone shape pt no 613622). Once these are separated, push the check strap out through the 'A' post. Removal of the trim side panel will allow access to this. Fit a new gasket cover (pt no 613623 & fit the new check strap back through the 'A' post to connect with the bracket on the door. Be careful not to open the door too wide when the checkstrap is disconnected or you will need an appointment with the body shop to repair the mark in the door caused by its being pressed on to the trailing edge of the wing.

Dave.