HELP - car won't start and its going for MOT tomoorrow after rebuild!

Hi there. I hope one of you wise men of TRs can help me.

I have just completed the rebuild of my TR6 after new body panels and respray and it is booked in for its MOT tomorrow morning.

When all the electrics had been checked and repaired as necessary, I started the car. It started pretty much straight away. Since then I have run it now and again into and out of the garage to work on it. I have kept it running for a while rather than just starting and stopping it. It has run well, although seemed to run a bit rich.

On Friday I had to replace the ignition switch because the old one dropped to pieces. All worked OK after that, but last night I had no power other than to the interior light, horn and glove box (which all come from the same fuse). Nothing else. This led me to the starter motor which seems to supply everything else via the red/white wire to the ignition. The red/white wire on the ignition switch had no power. It suddenly started to work OK again after putting the switch back in. Started and ran OK.

Today I had to get the flash working on the light switch, so had to take part of the column and speedo out to get it working. Since then, when I try to start it it turns over, and catches, but won't run properly. It runs, but very slowly and 'lumpy'. There is about half a tank of fuel - new last week. I had the plugs out and cleaned them all up last week.

Has anyone any ideas for me to try tomorrow morning before I call the MOT guy to cancel?

Tricky problem

I understand the Pi engine requires alot of battery power to crank and start, could be battery is low. Dont think a positive charge is created under 2000 rpm (could be wrong). Failing that what sort of pump is fitted are plugs wet? What condition are the ht/plug leads, points.

Remember a Pi engine wouldn't start and it was a single wire had come adrift from the luminition thingy.

Good luck with the MOT.

John

Tricky problem

I understand the Pi engine requires alot of battery power to crank and start, could be battery is low. Dont think a positive charge is created under 2000 rpm (could be wrong). Failing that what sort of pump is fitted are plugs wet? What condition are the ht/plug leads, points.

Remember a Pi engine wouldn't start and it was a single wire had come adrift from the luminition thingy.

Good luck with the MOT.

John

John

The battery is fully charged. I think it is the normal/standard fuel pump. I will check the plugs in the morning to see if they are wet. All plug leads are new last year. I will check the points in the morning.

I need the luck to start the car before before it gets to the MOT station!

Thanks for the input.

Pogo