Windscreen washer pump failure

My fixing skills are limited so I hope you'll forgive this seemingly basic question.

My 6 failed its MOT only because of a broken windscreen washer. As the wipers still work I assumed the switch was OK and got a new pump. However, no joy. So, I now assume the switch must be faulty.

To remove the switch I need to remove the knob, but it is not budging. I can't see a grub screw or similar, so is it just a case of brute force? Any tips for easing removal?

Also, am I right in thinking the switch is the culprit, as all other electrical systems are working (so the earthing must be OK?)

Thanks.

Ross

Also, am I right in thinking the switch is the culprit, as all other electrical systems are working (so the earthing must be OK?)

Could well be the switch, but don't assume just because the pump is new that it's OK. I got a new one that was completely dead - suggest you check it first. If your pump is the original they dismantle quite easily. You'll probably find it's just a bit rusty inside - clean it up with some fine wire wool, put a bit bit of silicon grease on the end of the spindle and it will last another 30 or so years.

Ross

The knob has a small hole at the 6 o'clock position and around 3mm in diameter - contort yourself very well (lie on your back in the footwell if you like!) and you will hopefully see it... by inserting a suitably sized screwdriver or similar push the retaining spring up towards the switch shaft - with judicious 'coaxing' the knob will come off... You may find it a little on the tight side (oo-err misses!!!). Once off the switch can be removed and checked cleaned at your leisure!

Good luck

Could well be the switch, but don't assume just because the pump is new that it's OK. I got a new one that was completely dead - suggest you check it first. If your pump is the original they dismantle quite easily. You'll probably find it's just a bit rusty inside - clean it up with some fine wire wool, put a bit bit of silicon grease on the end of the spindle and it will last another 30 or so years.

Thanks Bill: a five minute job cleaning the internal contacts and all is well with the original pump. Cheers.

Ross

The knob has a small hole at the 6 o'clock position and around 3mm in diameter - contort yourself very well (lie on your back in the footwell if you like!) and you will hopefully see it... by inserting a suitably sized screwdriver or similar push the retaining spring up towards the switch shaft - with judicious 'coaxing' the knob will come off... You may find it a little on the tight side (oo-err misses!!!). Once off the switch can be removed and checked cleaned at your leisure!

Good luck

Ian: thanks for the tip; not needed today but useful for future reference. Regards.