Le Mans Bodykit

Hi,

And a warm welcome to the TR Forum.

The simple answer is that you can't buy a 'Le Mans replica body kit' !

Only two bodyshells were made - the original, the TR8 Turbo Le Mans, which is now owned by my good friend Bert Smeets. The second bodyshell was constructed subsequently by Peter Nott, then owner of the LM car, and became what is now known as the TR8 Drag Car, owned by my wife.

A roadgoing 'lookalike' was made at the time, 1980, but had no connection with the ADA/Janspeed project, and the bodyshell construction was very different. It was, after all, just a normally aspirated road car - not a competiton car. I believe that car still survives, long laid up and in deteriorated condition.

Finally another and more powerful twin turbocharged 'lookalike' was constructed in the 1990s, subsequently its owner/constructor dismantled the car - most of the parts were sold individually, but the bodyshell destroyed.

The construction of the LM and DC bodyshells is similar but not identical - both are extremely complex, we aren't talking 'add on' kit ! Simply to construct a replica shell would cost probably in excess of £25K, and to replicate either car complete would cost £50K+.

Cheers,

Alec

Hi Alec

What is the history behind this one Lanocha racing not Le Mans but would make a nice looking machine.

Before I started my current project I considered trying to get in touch with them.

Chris

Edited by V8again

I have just been in touch with a friend of mine to create a 1:1 scale 3D model of the Le Mans car. From this I should be able to create slices from the parts, print them out on my printer and then create some wooden slats and some moulds. Will take a litte while but hey ho; the front air dam on the Le Mans kit certainly lends itself for intercooler placement as planning a twin turbo set up and should hopefully be able to accomodate some clever pipework :blink: