Back to the Knocking

Guest Simon Bolton

Guest Simon Bolton

Hello again all you clever people. I posted this topic a while ago but events stoped work on the TR6 so I could'nt follow up on your suggestions until now.I was able to put it on a lift for a good oggle and found all was v.sound(poly bushes etc).The only glaring problem appears to be the prop shaft-about 10 degrees of rotational play and a nice healthy knocking sound(at or in the diff I think).Now I did check on previous 'diff/prop' topics but I am still a bit unclear as to course of action and just on visual and prodding check the u/j's appear to be fine.What is my next plan of action?If prop shaft what am I looking for?If the diff what am I looking for?If it all has to come out what am I likely to expect?do I replace all u/j's and bearings etc as a matter of course?Is it a job an enthusiast(me)can do or is it for a pro.Your comments would be greatly appreciated Bye for now Simon

Can’t remember what, if anything, I posted on your previous thread but you will always be able to rotate the prop slightly, maybe more than you think is right! You will always be able to make it clonk doing it by hand as well. These difs are pretty robust & the worse that usually happens is a bit of back lash but you can usually live with this, it’s the UJ’s that give the problems. Do you have a real or perceived problem? if the UJ’s seem OK & the car doesn’t make undue clonking noises when driven, I would leave well alone!

i had similar clonking when driving of / change of direction.

i replaced the thrust washers on the sun wheels.items 47 & 49.in the diff.

nothing to do with backlash on pinion/crown wheel.

its a diff out job and the bits were about a tenner.

got rid of a lot of play and reduced that clonking sound.

richard

Guest Simon Bolton
Can’t remember what, if anything, I posted on your previous thread but you will always be able to rotate the prop slightly, maybe more than you think is right! You will always be able to make it clonk doing it by hand as well. These difs are pretty robust & the worse that usually happens is a bit of back lash but you can usually live with this, it’s the UJ’s that give the problems. Do you have a real or perceived problem? if the UJ’s seem OK & the car doesn’t make undue clonking noises when driven, I would leave well alone!

Many thanks Richard and I will heed your advice.The play is alarming thiuogh! Simon

Guest Simon Bolton
i had similar clonking when driving of / change of direction.

i replaced the thrust washers on the sun wheels.items 47 & 49.in the diff.

nothing to do with backlash on pinion/crown wheel.

its a diff out job and the bits were about a tenner.

got rid of a lot of play and reduced that clonking sound.

richard

Thanks for that Richard.Looked in my Rimmer parts book and your ref does not match.Mine is no 41 I think (and there are13 different options)Am I on the correct part (on the pin ouside of the two planet gears)and if so where do I measure to get the correct tolerance washer? It all lookes a bit beyond me and I think I may wait until other things need doing down there! Simon

Guest Simon Bolton
Simon

10 degs of backlash when rotating the propshaft by hand is normal, if you haven't got a serious clonk leave well alone.

Ron

Thanks Ron I get the message(takes a bit of time though) Simon

hi, simon the numbers are from moss catalogue.item 47 is reinforced plastic [delrin] i think.

item 49 bronze cuped washers,they do come in lots of sizes but you they dont stock them all.

i put a 3.35 diff in my car and they were 60" thou but worn down to 40".

the ones in my old 3.7 diff were also 60" but worn down to 50"thou. like a plonker i put

them in thinking they would be ok,only to change them a year later.

if you decide to fit them order some 60" thou and the next size up.easy to fit

once you have removed the diff of course.you dont have to pull all the innards

out from the diff.took me 2 hours to remove and refit.

[practice makes perfect and you arms ache]

my clonking symptons were, drive into garage/ reverse out CLONK.

drive of CLONK etc. 80% better now

richard