Good morning (or afternoonn) all,

My TR2 restoration didn't come with a front bumper. I have sourced the irons, and I have also found a front bumper which has the correct profile but has an indentation where the number plate fits. I suspect it is from a small Standard of the same era. It would appear to be the right length and I presume will be of better quality than an expensive reproduction example.

I have attempetd a trial fit but the bumper irons are slightly bent. The bumper will need re-chroming so before having this done I was wondering if someone would be good enough to measure their TR2 or early 3 front bumper holes and advise me of the hole centre locations on the bumper. I think the outer holes on the bumper I have may be in the correct place but the inner holes appear to be incorrect, and as the overriders will attach through this point I want to be sure I drill the holes in the correct place before re chroming. If you could also measure the overall length also that would be helpful to see if mine is the correct length.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Trevor.

Good morning (or afternoonn) all,

My TR2 restoration didn't come with a front bumper. I have sourced the irons, and I have also found a front bumper which has the correct profile but has an indentation where the number plate fits. I suspect it is from a small Standard of the same era. It would appear to be the right length and I presume will be of better quality than an expensive reproduction example.

I have attempetd a trial fit but the bumper irons are slightly bent. The bumper will need re-chroming so before having this done I was wondering if someone would be good enough to measure their TR2 or early 3 front bumper holes and advise me of the hole centre locations on the bumper. I think the outer holes on the bumper I have may be in the correct place but the inner holes appear to be incorrect, and as the overriders will attach through this point I want to be sure I drill the holes in the correct place before re chroming. If you could also measure the overall length also that would be helpful to see if mine is the correct length.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards

Trevor.

Hi Trevor,

My TR2 front bumper, I believe it is the original one, measures 56inches in a straight line from tip to tip.

The outer holes are 7inches from the tip of the blade to the hole centre.

The inner holes are 18 and 1/4inches from the tip of the blade.

The bolts are 3/8" diameter.

The ends of the blade curve in about 71/4" from the front face to the tip of the blade.This curve starts very gently a couple of inches from the over-rider at a large radius and tightens to a sharp curve at the end of the blade.

There are two number plate holes which may not be original.These are 1/4" diam. and sixteen and three quarter inches CtoC and one and one quarter down from the top edge.

I am of the opinion the these bumper blades were used on a number of cars of that period.

Perhaps someone else can confirm these dimensions before you start to drill holes.

If your bumper is not near to these dimensions I would not think it worth the cost of rechroming. Ken Munford may be able to help you, I can find his number if you like.

Hope this helps.

Colin, Thanks very much for going to the trouble to take the measuremnets for me. Much appreciated.

I assume that apart from the total length measurement the other measurements were taken along the front face of the blade. The bumper I have is 57 3/4" long with holes at 8 1/4" and 20 3/4" from the end respectively. It would seem allowing for the extra total length that the outer holes are only 1/4 " out which can be taken up with use of a washer on the irons. However I think I now need to check this blade up against a sidescreen car to see if the overall length looks OK. As you imply re-chroming is not cheap and I don't want to waste my money. I have Ken Mumford's number thank you. I have tried him a couple of times in the past though not in the last 6 months, and he didn't have any TR2 blades on those ocassions. I will perhaps try him again before the International.

Thanks again

Trevor.