Tie Rod / Track Rod Ends

Hi All,

Have just replaced 2 new track rod ends as it they were an M.o.T failure. I have given them a soft tap to ensure the tapered end bites into the hole so that I could do the track rod end nut up which I have tightened to the correct torque setting. My question is that the track rod end tapered shaft has not gone all the way in the hole up to the rubber boot there is probably 1cm of metal showing between the hole and the rubber boot. I am sure that the rubber boot should meet the hole that the track rod end goes into, but how do you get the tapered metal to sit in flush ? Is it brute force with a dead weight lump hammer or is there a special tool that one should use. I have checked the hayes manual and the triumph workshop manual and I can not find an answer. Hoping as always that you guys can help !

Many Thanks

Jeremy

Hi All,

Have just replaced 2 new track rod ends as it they were an M.o.T failure. I have given them a soft tap to ensure the tapered end bites into the hole so that I could do the track rod end nut up which I have tightened to the correct torque setting. My question is that the track rod end tapered shaft has not gone all the way in the hole up to the rubber boot there is probably 1cm of metal showing between the hole and the rubber boot. I am sure that the rubber boot should meet the hole that the track rod end goes into, but how do you get the tapered metal to sit in flush ? Is it brute force with a dead weight lump hammer or is there a special tool that one should use. I have checked the hayes manual and the triumph workshop manual and I can not find an answer. Hoping as always that you guys can help !

Many Thanks

Jeremy

If the nut is tightened, there is no way the the tapered end will go any deeper as the taper is rather steep. I believe that the rubber boot does cover a part of the tapered shaft?

Hi Jeremy, the thread will pull the taper in as far as it will ever go, belting it with a hammer won't help! I usually use a plain nut just to pull the taper in, and then replace with a plain washer and a Nyloc (they never supply a plain washer, but it saves grooving the casting at all). The rubber boot should butt up against the arm - just a thought, which way are you fitting it from, as I've a feeling you're doing it from the wrong side or the new TRE pins are too big, they go into the arm from above, not below as on most modern vehicles? Just seen you're in here Ron, they do fit from above ....?

Edited by jonlar
they go into the arm from above, not below as on most modern vehicles? Just seen you're in here Ron, they do fit from above ....?

They do indeed fit from above (downwards) but I think the rack geometry would make it quiet difficult to fit them from below. As has already been stated, the only other reason I can think of is that you have the wrong TRE’s; don’t what ever you do start bashing things with a lump hammer!

Edited by Richard Crawley
Hi Jeremy

I've just replaced mine and the boot does sit tight on the steering arm:

Hope this helps.

Tony

Thanks for the pic Tony, it seems that I may have the wrong TRE, not sure how that happened? Can I ask where you got yours from as I think I may have been sold a duff pair!

Cheers

Jeremy

• 12 years later...