I agree with those who say disconnect. I do both -VE and +VE (bit like locking and bolting doors I suppose)! One day (round tuits and all that) I will fit an isolator switch. I learned to disconnect as a result of several flatter than pancake batteries on a Honda I keep in France. Two months at a time without cranking and a digital clock will flatten even a new battery.

Someone earlier mentioned taking battery indoors during winter. I thought about that, then a friend told me story about exploding battery!!!!

Someone earlier mentioned taking battery indoors during winter. I thought about that, then a friend told me story about exploding battery!!!!

There is only really a danger whilst battery is being charged when hydrogen and oxygen are being given off - I was high charging a Land Rover H/D battery a few years ago, when it exploded - ignited by sparks from a nearby angle grinder - acid and bits of battery for 25 feet or so, out from the wall where the charger was - always best to charge off vehicle, unless very low trickle charge and in a well-ventilated area, where fitted loosen cell caps.