Hi ,

I have got the following problem on my TR5:

The alternator does not charge properly;

Alternator is new as well as the control box (exchange alternator from MOSS-new control box 4TR)

charging light on dash slightly on with poor reading on the anmeter

The car is just out from a complete rebuilt

Any ideas ?

Please help

Hello Michel,

As I'm sure you have heard before it could be a number of things. Firstly and foremost do check that your fan belt is tight. A common problem if the ignition light glows a bit is a loose fan belt yet many overlook it. Assuming this is Ok you need to check that the alternator is giving a good output. Go to local garage and they will check the output for you. If you are competant at DIY there are detailed instructions in the WM which I could not explain any more clearly. Personally I would do away with the 4TR control box and get an uprated 18 ACR alternator (only minor wiring changes required) and you will be much better off however you may want to stick to originality so follow the WM.

An ammeter will not show a large charge deflection even if the alternator is working properly as it only feed a gradual charge back to the battery to balance both the charge it needs as well as the current consumption. If you switch everything on and the ammeter shows a discharge with the engine running at anything much over tickover then you need a bigger alternator. Look at what you have over and obove standard, if this does occir , electric fan for example??

Lets us know how you get on .

Cheers

Hi Ian,

Many thanks for your reply.

The Tr5 is completely original and without any additional electrical accesories.

As I have mentionned in the first post, the alternator is new(MOSS exchange) as well as the control box (HOLDEN supply) . All this mean that I am not ready to replace new items.

In fact the alternator is charging, but not to full power as the charging warning light stay slightly on and if you turn the lights on then the anmeter goes to the right showing no charge.

I will check the voltage output given by the alternator. Even new item could be faulty.

I have tried a direct link from the + on the battery to the + on the 4TR control box (a bypaas of the warning light ) In that case the alternator is charging properly, which mean in my opinion that there is not enough voltage coming out after the warning light to energize properly the alternator.

May be this will help you trying to understand the problem.

Cheers,

Michel

PS: I hope you are able to understand me

Hello Michel I guess we might be having problems with language here, where are you by the way, but you dont quite sound English form your explanations. That is not in any way a critism as I could not go so far as attempt to explain such a problem in any other language. Evenso, I think you will find the ignition light (taken from the IND terminal on the alternator via the 4TR box) is a separate circuit and nothing is taken off it its just and indictor circuit that goes from the alternator via the control box to ignition switch and thats it, you could disconnect it and it would make no difference.

Confirm the fan belt is tight, and if you are sure the alternator is pushing out the correct voltage to the battery then it could still be a faulty IND output at the alternator or at the IND output at the control box. .. or yet a loose fan belt.

Hope this helps

Ian

• 1 month later...

I Ian,

First of all , sorry for this long period of silence.

To answer your previous comment, I am French and in France . The TR5 is also a French sold one .

Back to my problem, I have had the alternator tested. It is not working properly (not delivering the proper voltage). I have sent it back to MOSS for a warranty exchange . I should get it back soon and will let you know the latest news as soon as possible.

Anyway, many thanks again for your help.

Michel

Hello Michel I guess we might be having problems with language here, where are you by the way, but you dont quite sound English form your explanations. That is not in any way a critism as I could not go so far as attempt to explain such a problem in any other language. Evenso, I think you will find the ignition light (taken from the IND terminal on the alternator via the 4TR box) is a separate circuit and nothing is taken off it its just and indictor circuit that goes from the alternator via the control box to ignition switch and thats it, you could disconnect it and it would make no difference.

Confirm the fan belt is tight, and if you are sure the alternator is pushing out the correct voltage to the battery then it could still be a faulty IND output at the alternator or at the IND output at the control box. .. or yet a loose fan belt.

Hope this helps

Ian

• 3 months later...