I have recently replaced the valves and guides because thiner exhaust valves were fitted to larger guides. Before I completed this work the engine sounded like a bag of nails. Now that it is quieter I can hear another noise which is more apparent when the engine is ticking over, sounds a bit like a diesel rattle. I wondered if it was worn small ends. I guess my main concern is could it throw a rod out the side of the block or let us down unexpectedly. Any thoughts welcome. Thanks, Bill

Bill - When it's ticking over and you slowly increase the throttle, to say 3000 RPM, and then totally let off the pedal, does it make a kind-of rattling sound as the engine speed drops. If it does, then my next question is, "When was the last time you changed the timing chain tensioner?" A worn or weak tensioner can let the timimg chain "slap" back and forth because of the slack play and this rattle sound can be heard.

Bill - When it's ticking over and you slowly increase the throttle, to say 3000 RPM, and then totally let off the pedal, does it make a kind-of rattling sound as the engine speed drops. If it does, then my next question is, "When was the last time you changed the timing chain tensioner?" A worn or weak tensioner can let the timimg chain "slap" back and forth because of the slack play and this rattle sound can be heard.

Don, thanks for your thoughts, it could well be the timing chain/tensioner, the screwdriver trick,one end against the timing chain cover other end against an ear, kind of suggested it might be this. I will try taking revs to 3000 as you suggest over the weekend. Hopefully this is a job that could wait until winter(?). Rgds Bill