any locksmiths out there?

A few days ago I thought I would see if the lock for the boot works. Normally I just secure the boot of my TR2 with the budget locks. Now I can't unlock the boot, the key will not go all the way into the lock, stopping between one sixteenth and one eighth of an inch before it should. It feels as if no amount of force would make any difference. Any ideas would be gratefully received. Thanks

Edited by BillS
A few days ago I thought I would see if the lock for the boot works. Normally I just secure the boot of my TR2 with the budget locks. Now I can't unlock the boot, the key will not go all the way into the lock, stopping between one sixteenth and one eighth of an inch before it should. It feels as if no amount of force would make any difference. Any ideas would be gratefully received. Thanks

If it is a barrel lock or similar then it works as a row of small sliding plates with tiny springs to return each plate, old locks generaly get jambed due to lack of use. Try a sqwert of wd40 and leave for a few hours, then insert the key and try gently wigling the key up and down as you insert it to loosen the slides, the last one may free up and the key go in all the way.

Chris

Edited by V8again

If WD40 fails to free it.

insert large screwdriver into the slot.

fit a large adjustable wrench to the bit of blade still showing

Turn them

lock opens with innards well sheared

buy new lock

But at least the boot is open.

Or try and unbolt the hinges from the rear deck above the petrol tank.

Thanks for your advice both. Used loads of WD40 and, in the end a small hammer (and gritted teeth) and managed to get the key fully home and open the boot. Mind you there is only the hood in there! Thanks again, Bill

If WD40 fails to free it.

insert large screwdriver into the slot.

fit a large adjustable wrench to the bit of blade still showing

Turn them

lock opens with innards well sheared

buy new lock

But at least the boot is open.

Or try and unbolt the hinges from the rear deck above the petrol tank.