difficult to get gears when warm

The symptoms are typical for a clutch problem. Probably, losses of the motion at several elements of the clutch actuating mechanism add up to a point were the movement is only just enough to disengage when cold and not enough anymore when hot. Wear has to be eliminated : i.e. pedal to rod link,...

The fork on the transverse rod can split : this can cause the symptoms on its own.

A little more history would help; how long have you had the car? Did the problem just develop or has it always been difficult? Did you do the work in the hope of curing the problem?

Had the car three years had the box rebuilt before it went on the road the lay shaft had gone the problem started the end of last year I fitted a new master cylinder thinking that was what the problem was then I didnt use it over winter I also fitted new pedal bushes I can't find any play anywhere else

The clutch actuating mechanism is rather marginal & can give problems with the accumulation of just small amounts of wear throughout the system; & there is the dreaded cross shaft yolk pin which breaks! Lots of information on these problems & what to do about them in the archive posts.

I assume the problem occurs with the engine running! You need to establish if clutch drag is causing the problem, can you engage any of the other forward gears easily? If it’s across all gears then it probably clutch drag but if it’s just with 1st & reverse then it may be an internal gearbox fault!

Hi Danny, in addition to Ron's and other comments above, I'd suggest you check all the clevis pivot pins and their holes for any wear, a minimal amount of wear on several components adds up to lose the full extension of movement.

Danny

Try the pin on the cross-shaft temporarily in the top hole rather than the middle one, if this cures it, the fault is with the clutch.

Ron

checked oil level in gear box and added half a litre went out for a drive this morning about 8 miles up the road to my mates it was still sticking but like you suggested I put the pin in the top hole drove home it seems better do you have any idea what bit of the clutch is causeing the problem thanks