Distributor drive gear

On assembling the distributor drive gear I find that I have 6 thou end float without any shims. This leaves 1 thou for the gasket!

Does anyone know if it is feasible not to have a gasket at the pedestal to block joint, the only other options appear to be too much end float or replacing the bushing that the gear rests on, something I am not keen on doing having no experience of it.

I would have thought that a brown paper gasket, or just Wellseal, would suffice for the joint, as it will not be disturbed once made. I can not think that an extra thou or two will be critical . Did you check the clearance with a dial gauge, or by putting a washer of known thickness on the shaft and then using feeler gauges? I find the washer idea is not as reliable- two sets of measurements to be made so twice the chance of error ! You may be within tolerance.