Distributer Advance

Hi all.

Any dizzy experts out there? I have just stripped, cleaned and lubed my distributer and installed new advance springs. Moss said install the two strongest springs first. I guess this will delay the advance with increasing RPM. I know on performance engines this would increase power but do you think it will affect the old 4 pot lump? My engine is in good condition but is unmodified so softer springs maybe better? What do you think?

Also what static advance is best. The manual says TDC and then advance one division on the vernier adjuster. This was written for the days of good old 5 star with tons of lead. I run on super unleaded with no additive. I only do a couple of 1000 miles a year so I do not think the head is going to give up on me..

Cheers

Simon

TR4A

Better to talk to Martin AKA Distributor doctor, or better still you could send the whole thing to him for a proper rebuild and yes it does make a lot of difference on a 4 cylinder if you want it to run right. http://www.distributordoctor.com/

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

I posted the same thread twice! I know Martin does a good job but his waiting time is immense and for the price of his overhaul plus a bit I could go for the electronic system with plug and play advance curve adjustment. What do you think?

Cheers

Simon

TR4A

Hi Stuart

I posted the same thread twice! I know Martin does a good job but his waiting time is immense and for the price of his overhaul plus a bit I could go for the electronic system with plug and play advance curve adjustment. What do you think?

Cheers

Simon

TR4A

We have tried them and in the end for reliability and performance went back to Martins rebuilt Dizzys every time.

Stuart.