unknown rpm

My tr6 is ex usa the rev counter shows revs up to 5500 and then goes red.Having done quite a bit of work to the engine it would be nice to see exactely what it is actually reving to.Does the original uk spec rev counter show higher revs and if so is it a straight swop for mine.

Thanks BOB

As far as I know the US & UK rev counters are the same. If it’s a cable drive Smiths unit, it should be fairly accurate & although the coloured bands are not calibrated from 5500, indication will be progressive up to the max. looks to be 7000 RPM – how curate do you want it! The only other alternative would be to source an aftermarket electronic unit.

The 6 is a fairly long stroke engine, not really designed for high RPM & I would be wary of taking a road engine up above 6000 on a regular basis (if indeed it will breath that high) unless you’ve done some serious internal work on it. Race engines red line quiet a bit higher (up around 7500 I think) but these are built with some seriously modified & strengthened internal components & are fully balanced.

As far as I know the US & UK rev counters are the same. If it’s a cable drive Smiths unit, it should be fairly accurate & although the coloured bands are not calibrated from 5500, indication will be progressive up to the max. looks to be 7000 RPM – how curate do you want it! The only other alternative would be to source an aftermarket electronic unit.

The 6 is a fairly long stroke engine, not really designed for high RPM & I would be wary of taking a road engine up above 6000 on a regular basis (if indeed it will breath that high) unless you’ve done some serious internal work on it. Race engines red line quiet a bit higher (up around 7500 I think) but these are built with some seriously modified & strengthened internal components & are fully balanced.