Injector grief

Hello, i have a question about injectors. Mine are the push in type but i did have a couple of screw in ones and i thought i would see how they came apart before i messed with my good ones. Anyways, i removed the circlip and tapped out the insides. There was the poppet assemby with spring attached to it and then a tube about 3/4 on an inch long, with 2 holes in the end and this fit up against the poppet assembly. My question is what keeps pressure on the poppet to keep it closed? Am i missing some parts here? The spring has nothing to react against so the tip of the poppet is free to open and close as it sees fit. I am going to try to attach some pictures................you know the thousand word thing................

One of the pictures will show the pieces that came out of the injector, the other will show how the poppet tip is"open" and not held shut as the other one is.........

Hi Mitch

there is a hex grub screw on the rear end of the spring. the spring and screw should pass through the metal tube with the two holes and the grub screw should locate into a plastic collar which butts up to the rear of the tube. Loosening or tightening the grub screw adjusts the pressure required to open the valve. Looks like the plastic collar is missing or is still in the injector body - did you unscrew the grub screw completely when dismantling ? or (hopefully not) might you have punched the grub screw out of the collar ? either way, the injector will need to be set up to achieve the right release pressure.

Hope this helps - Dave

" grub screw should locate into a plastic collar which butts up to the rear of the tube."

Plastic collar??????????

Ok, thanks Dave, that is what i was looking for.................my plastic collars seem to be missing from these injectors. They were thrown in with a metering unit ( that is what i really wanted ) and now i see why. Wonder what the chances of procuring these plastic bits are.........

Anyways, mystery solved for now......

cheers,

Mitch

Thanks for the info Richard. The injectors just came in a box of stuff I got with a spare metering unit I had bought off of E Bay. Funny thing though is that all 6 of the injectors (3 screw in and 3 push in) are all missing the same plastic bits. The 6 I have for my car all seem to be ok but i did want to change the "tip" O ring, and thought i would practise on these injectors. That is where my problem began, i just could not see what kept the injector closed, as the spring had nothing to react against. The lucas info that i have only stated that the injectors are kept closed by spring pressure. I did find a good picture on the lucas site though, and it shows the plastic bit and pieces that are missing.

thanks again,

Mitch