Oh dear, my TR7 likes to fight with me. I got both the old, stuck wheel cylinders off with the help of a handy brake pipe spanner, but now I can't get the new ones ON! How on earth do you get the circlips over the connection at the back to hold the cylinder on? Is there a trick or is it just force?

Cheers

Ally

Hi Ally, I assume the 7 type are the same as every other car I've worked on, make sure back plate is clean and that cylinders are going fully in, then tap points of clips in with a pin hammer, once they're engaging with the grooves, gently tap fully into place, brute force is optional (see Haynes Manuals!).

As Jonlar says, the clips do not go 'over' the connector at the back, you slide them fully (with the aid of a hammer with or without drift) into the groove that goes all around the connector.

There is also an easy way and a hard way to get these circlips on, depending on which way round you put them. The circlips are arched; I was always taught they were supposed to go on the hard way, but more recently I have heard others say it doesn't really matter. I have a car where the rear cylinders were replaced by Robsport about three years ago and the clips were put in the 'easy' way. I cannot say I have experienced any problems. Someone out there must know whether it makes any difference!

Jeff

Ally

I did this recently and had exactly the same problem. You should find that the clip is dished. The 'base' of the dish faces away from the back plate. Take care if you resort to using force - it doesn't take a great deal of knocking to stretch open the clip rendereing it useless. In 'The Bicycle Book' by Richard Ballentyne from the 1980s he talks about getting a tyre back onto the rim. He suggests 'believing' the tyre onto the rim with bare hands rather than using (puncturing) tools - I think it's a bit like that with these clips. Once I believed there was no alternative to it going on, it went on!

Good luck!

Kevin

Once I believed there was no alternative to it going on, it went on!

Good plan!

Thanks all for the help...I'll have another go tonight. Hopefully they'll give in, eventually we usually get success with KBA, though it takes a bit of stubbornness on my part!

I did mean I wanted to slide them into the groove, not go "over" as such....didn't phrase it as well as you guys did! Oops...

Cheers,

Ally :)

Hi Ally,

Yep, you just have to struggle with those clips,but be carefull i've managed to break 2 of those clips before with my bare hands while putting them on.Must remember to eat only 1 shredded wheat when i work on the car!!! :):P

All the best

Greg. :)

it doesn't take a great deal of knocking to stretch open the clip rendering it useless.

Erm...have I got some kind of super-circlips here then? There's no way any amount of hitting is gonna stretch these out of shape! I can't even get one to go onto the wheel cylinder when it's OFF the car...I have a spare one to 'experiment' on and I've hit, prodded, prized, shoved, bent, pulled, whacked and sworn at the thing! It'll engage with the groove in the connector but not budge a millimetre more no matter WHAT I do to it. How anyone can break one at all, let alone with their bare hands is a mystery to me...I bow down to your superior strength!!!

I'm thinking I might have fallen foul of dodgy repro parts...are circlips this size easy to come by and if so, where? I might get my hands on a few more and see if they are any better.

Sorry for the rant - I'm getting pretty sick of this TR7 :(

Ally

... I'm getting pretty sick of this TR7 :(

Don't ;)

As for the circlip, check that the circlip fits into the groove before you attempt to fit the cilinder to the back plate. Happened to me once or twice that the circlips were to wide or the groove to narrow.

p.s. see you at the RBRR control at The Angel Inn in Corbridge :unsure:

Guest Chris Draper

I know these things can be frustrating, but it makes them just that bit more satisfying when you get them done - that's what I tell myself anyway...

Could try putting a little grease in the groove, just to help it a bit. May not do a lot, but worth a try.

Large jawed pliers or mole grips might do it - one side around the cylinder & the other squeezing the circlip on. Have to be careful though to avoid the circlip pinging off into an unknown part of your garage!

I know these things can be frustrating, but it makes them just that bit more satisfying when you get them done - that's what I tell myself anyway...

Yes, very satisfying - success tonight :D Thanks everyone for the help. Now to re-assemble the rest of the brakes..brace yourselves for more silly questions guys!

Ally