I am building a TR7 for my daughter to learn to race (the 8 is far too powerful), does anyone know of proven mods to the 2 litre engine? Is there a book that i can buy? I am restricted to standard crank, bore and carbs. Heads, cam and exhaust are free. (but i am not able to install sprint heads in the class).

Guest jeffremj
I am building a TR7 for my daughter to learn to race (the 8 is far too powerful), does anyone know of proven mods to the 2 litre engine? Is there a book that i can buy? I am restricted to standard crank, bore and carbs. Heads, cam and exhaust are free. (but i am not able to install sprint heads in the class).

As mentioned, the Triumphtune manual is good - I have based my upgrades on it. If you are lucky, Moss Europe may still have the appropriate items in stock.

For a racer, I would fit a race cam (I guess) with a vernier sprocket, a 4 branch exhaust manifold with a sports exhaust and ram pipes for the carbs. You would get the head matched to the manifolds. The final item would be a megajolt lite jr ignition kit. This would give you computer controlled idle speed management (useful with a high lift cam), a rev limiter and 'military spec' spark performance up to 9K rpm :-)

Rock solid crank triggered spark will see off all distributor based cars!

Here are the details of my TR7 16V with megajolt:

http://fp.jeffremj.plus.com/edis.htm

This is the main megajolt lite jr site:

http://www.picasso.org/mjlj/

Edited by jeffremj

Thanks for the warning Alec but i was across it, i have already had that problem with my 8 in the past, the scrutineeers didn't like the haltec injection, taking it off and replacing with a holley and edelbrock dropped 30kw and several seconds a lap!

It was fun while it lasted though, for a while the 8 was faster round the track than the 996 turbo i owned at the time (it is still much much more fun) there is no substitute for a RWD v8!

What i was really looking for was specific mods that generate horsepower, when i started with my 8 people said an edlebrock will do this a holley that and these sort of head mods will generate a certain improvement, there doesn't seem to be the same amount of info on the four cylinder, probably a good article in there for the register mag if i can get some reasonable times out of the finished car.

In australia there are no TR7's racing ( though there are a couple of people doing sprints and regularities etc) so it seems to be an unexplored area, hope that it is not because they cant be made competitive.