Clutch/Gearbox Advice

:(Just been looking over another of my "projects" this weekend and noticed that the 7V8 has a rock solid clutch pedal and if you move the gearselector into any gear - the car still rolls.

Bought her from e-bay a month ago from a bloke who said it drove fine until he had problems with seized brakes then left it in the garage !!! Methinks the car has far more wrong than what he stated as it has a badly cracked alloy wheel and one of its twin tailpipes is bent almost vertical under the car.

Just wondered if anyone knows what it may be before I decide to take everything apart.

I have had clutch problems with other cars over the years, but nothing like this,

Cheers again, Karl.

if you move the gearselector into any gear - the car still rolls.

A month or so ago there was a topic in this forum about a TR7 with no drive when a gear was selected, in the end it was a broken shaft in the gearbox I believe.

Rock solid pedal + still movable car can also be explained, by the clutch always disengaged because the clutch hydraulic has pumped itself up : an internally perished hydraulic line, acting as a one way valve, or a faulty master cylinder : when the hydraulic fluid can not go back to the reservoir.

Hi your best bet would be to check the quality and quantity of the fluid first. Then disconect

the pipe from the slave cylinder to releive any possible pressure, and engage gear again to see what happens. Does any other part of the underside appear damaged as if it has been driven oversomething?

Has the prop shaft been bent or damaged? Another thing that sound dodgie is brakes don't usually seize if they are being used quote a bloke who said it drove fine until he had problems with seized brakes then left it in the garage. Good look with your findings, and keep us informed.

Regards Rob.

A month or so ago there was a topic in this forum about a TR7 with no drive when a gear was selected, in the end it was a broken shaft in the gearbox I believe.

Yeah - that was me. Could be you have a combination of two problems - the broken shaft and the seized master (and/or slave, presumably?) cylinder(s) . Logically both of these could arise from an extended period of inactivity as trying to free a seized clutch (after long storage time) by bump starting can break the main shaft.

Kevin :(

Yeah - that was me. Could be you have a combination of two problems - the broken shaft and the seized master (and/or slave, presumably?) cylinder(s) . Logically both of these could arise from an extended period of inactivity as trying to free a seized clutch (after long storage time) by bump starting can break the main shaft.

Kevin :(

Thanks for everyones help.

I have also noticed that the underside of the car has a dent near the gearbox area, which makes me think that it has hit something as well.

Not too much of a problem as the car was going to be a doner anyway, just means that I will have to check the gearbox before i use it.

The car has quick-rack power steering. Does anyone know how to tell a genuine TR8 PAS rack from a converted SD1 version ??