MX5 Leather Seatcovers

Guest ron

I mentioned in another thread that I had won on Ebay a set of Prestige leather seatcovers for the Mazda MX5 seats fitted in my 6. I have now been fitting them and I'm very impressed with the result, the fit is good and the quality of workmanship is excellent, only slight complaint, there was no instructions with them, which although once started, the job is fairly obvious I think it would help the confidence, probably like a lot of enthusiasts I'm OK with mechanical matters but not so confident with trimming.

I would say it takes a full afternoon to do the first seat and a bit less for the second although I had to wait a couple of days between as my hands were quite sore from removing and fitting dozens of hog rings with pliers, probably the proper tool would make life easier.

If need be spare parts for these seats are still available from Mazda UK [albeit at a price!]

If anyone fancies doing this job and wants info, e-mail me, I've also taken photos on the way along.

Edited by ron

I also fitted MX5 seats which were purchased by my mate Paul from a breakers yard. They are comfortable, although I think they are a little higher off the floor than the TR originals. My driving position means I tend to look through the top section of the windscreen, which can cause a bit of a goldfish bowl optical distortion. This could also be due to my roll bar restricting the rake of the back support.

I tried to lower my driving position by paring down the seat pad (after all other possible adjustments to the support frame). Not really much difference. I used nylon tiewraps to replace the hog rings. No one can see them and they allow a fine degree of adjustment.

Terry

I've still got the MX5 drivers seat out of the car so I sat it beside an original seat and the seat squabs are almost the same height, the MX5 seat is marginally lower, but very little in it, I've a very low adapter made out of 1/4" plate welded to the MX5 runners.

I noticed when I stripped the driver's seat that the squab cover had been fitted with wire ties so someone has been there before me but I think I'll stick to hog rings.

Ron

Hi Ron, was this just a one-off pair of covers, or is it someone making and selling them, if the latter, could you post details or PM. I've only been able to find crappy material seats to date, but would go that route and re-cover.

Just fitted the same leather covers to my TR. Much easier to use tie wraps. As Terry says, giving good adjustment too. Also I rewired and upgraded the head rest speakers.

Hi,

I've been looking to upgrade the headrest speakers in my MX5 seats but despite several attempts, I haven't been able to find any replacements that fit. Unless of course you're prepared to hack the rear of the seat about. Can anyone tell me what make and size of speakers replace the originals, and is it a straight swap?

Regards

Steve