TR7 Glovebox problem

Guest wedge fan

Guest wedge fan

Hi, I have just joined this forum after being a TR Register member for a few months.  I have a problem with the glovebox lid in my TR7 DHC, it's stuck slightly open and has been since I got the car.  I have tried everything I can think of but I don't want to damage the lid or dashboard by trying to force it.  Could be a bit of a problem if I need to change a fuse!

Just wondered if anybody out there has any ideas or has had a similar problem?

David (wedge fan)

Hi David, a very warm welcome to the best club and forum on the 'net.   Can't help you personally on this one as I've a 6, but you'll doubtless get a few answers when some of the others have been in.   You don't say what's causing the problem, but can you open the lid, what seems to be hanging up/binding?
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if the design changed - my boot catch is different to other ones. On my glovebox, there is a locking piece that consists of a handle that turns, with a keyhole that turns relative to the handle, and when the handle is turned, it causes a fairly thick plastic rod to retract into the body of the lock and open a gap for the complimentary part, a bracket screwed into the top of the glovebox, to release the door.

There's a picture of sorts, here:

Glovebox

The catch is ZKC478 and the lock is YKC1610, the square bit is what moves.

To trouble shoot it, if you cannot turn the square knob a quarter turn to left or right, it is still locked.

If you can turn the knob, it has failed internally. If you can't unlock it by turning the correct key - and note that the glovebox key is the same shape as the boot key but not necessarily the same prescription - then there is a problem.

If you can turn the knob but it still is locked, that may be because the rod isn't retracting all the way - force may solve that as the bit it locks against is circular

Forcing the lock is relatively straightforward. If you can get something to depress the button, the door should pop out. Look again at the picture, you need to insert something like a screwdriver down into the slot on the catch - easy enough if you know how, I think. Otherwise, a big screwdriver ought to be able to force the lock either into two parts or rip one or other halves off the door or dashboard top. To repair, you'd need a new lock and/or bracket, or glovebox door, or to repair the dashboard enough to fit the bracket back on - easy enough to DIY.

Guest wedge fan

Martyn, thanks for your help it worked!  Using my favourite bent screwdriver I managed to depress the button far enough to open it without causing any damage to the glovebox or dash.  With the lock out I can see it turns but does not allow the button to drop far enough to release.  At lease I can get into my glovebox now, I discovered inside the original instructions for the K&N re-usable filter and an old tax disc from 1991! Wonder how long it has been jammed shut for?

Thanks for all your help,

David.