what paint too use

Guest gaz

Hi guys ive only posted a few times but are a frequent reader of these forums i bought my TR7 nearly 2 years ago from the lads at S&S. Now the car is nearing completion minus body work its in the garage as we speak getting new inner cills and outer cills fitted new subframe now thats some pretty hefty rusting now the lads in the garage can't belhive given the condition of the subframe and cills that the underside of the car is in fantastic shape bit of loose flakey surface rust but solid underneath am i just lucky or is this normal for the TR7

Anyway back to the question in hand its not going to be this year that i manage to get my body work and re-spray done but as the car will have an MOT in the next month or so i'm going to need to paint the cills with something but with what? i'm not sure as to whether i want to have them colour coded or keep them black as they were originally what do most of you  guy's think on that score cos as i belhive i should paint them with underseal and that going to be a bugger to remove if i decide to colour code or is it?

Here is the little beast sat outside S&S .................

DSC30885.jpg

Oh and this bit might sound sad but if you look at the reg. it almost say's SHADOW         SHA 169W does anyone know what the laws are on placment and or if anyone has come across a site that lets you type in your reg. to see what it looks like differently spaced could i do this legally or would i be constantly be getting stopped by the police

Hi Gaz,

The Sill colour is a matter of personal preference, I don't think it makes much odds if the the body is dark coloured like yours appears in the photo. You could consider a matt black, would give a better finish than underseal, or some type of anti stone chip paint.

As to body conditon, this seems to vary a lot, in the case of a DHC the floors are often bad if the roof has been leaking, and water has got under the carpets. With my DHC when I got it, a fair amount of  the bodywork had been repaired/replaced previously, the door skins , wheel arches, front headlamp panel all done, the subframe was newish and had obviously been replaced at some point. However, like yours, the sills were shot, but the underside is very solid. The strut turrets needed patching, and the inner wing at one point has been patched.

So basically mine was very good in some of the usual bad spots, but was still poor in some of the others.

I was still able to run it for the first year I had it, before I had to have  the sills done, since then for the last 4 years it has passed MOT with no structural problems at all!

Ray

Guest ron

Gaz

If you spray them with overpaintable black anti-stonechip it leaves you with the choice in the future, it is very easy to spray, only thing is you need a fairly large compressor as these 'Shutz' type sprayguns use a lot of air.

Ron

Guest gaz

thanks guy's for the input as far as the compressor goes i am a joiner and i use a small compressor for work its one those tankless commpressors it runs continuess for ten mins before shutting down (thermal cut out) will this be ok for any spray work (small jobs obviously) because there will be no pressure drop which is what happens with the tank type

and you say to use a shutz type spray gun is that a special type for stone chip paint cos i actually have a spray gun attachment for this compressor which a may be able to use

Guest ron

Gaz

The anti-stonechip paint needs a Shutz gun, the paint is very thick and the nozzle is about 1/4" dia, sorry can't help you with your compressor, no experience of that type, but I suspect it would struggle to spray anti-stonechip. You can buy it in aerosols but it's nowhere near as good.

Ron