Crankcase breather 4A

Guest Andrew Hall

Guest Andrew Hall

Does anyone know at what stage the crankcase breather was removed on the 4A engine and why ?. I've got a leak from the rear seal even though it has had the conversion. It has been suggested that the seal is leaking because of excess crankcase pressure?

I have another 4A block that has a core plug where the breather goes which looks like it has always been there

all answers greatly received

Andrew

Guest Iain.F

Hi Andrew

early cars did have a breather there that vented via a large 25mm diameter tube to atmosphere.  Later four cylinder cars have a very different and smaller diameter "Closed circuit " vent system.   Before getting too carried away you should check the rocker cover vent as some have a piece of "Brillo pad" type wire wool in them that can block solid!  Mine had recently on a TR6.  Other causes may be the vent valve next in line to the carburettors.

Hope this helps - the rear seal coversion is a good idea but probably is best left to a total engine rebuild.

Iain.F