Electrical Fault

Guest paulb2004uk

Guest paulb2004uk

Hope someone can help, I installed a stereo in my '80 tr7, the stereo works fine but I somehow blew a fuse (top row fuse 4). I replaced the fuse but the circuit still isnt working, Things like Horn, door lights, cigarette lighter, flash beam and hazards are all out.

Anyone got an idea where to start looking.

Thanks

Paul.

Paul,

Did you replace the 50Amp fuse?

I had a similar problem and the replacement fuse is slightly bigger and doesn't fit properly (probably metric) if I re-seat it, it ususally works. Being a big fuse of course means you can damage the harness easily with the curent involved.

Dave

:)

Guest paulb2004uk
I replaced the 4th fuse, the one that came out was 35amp. Even with the new fuse nothing is working. I checked the fuse with a volt meter and there isnt a live feed to it. Is it fed via something else or a direct feed from the battery.

Just had a look at the manual, the live side of the fuse is fed directly via a brown wire from the battery +ve. I would check behind the fuse panel for a bad connection or broken wire.

You should be able to get the panel out by taking out the retaining screws (1 at the top, 2 at the bottom) and pulling out to one side to peer behind it.

It stands to reason that the +ve from the battery is intact or you would have nothing working and you have.

Dave

I think if you run a brown wire from the battery +ve to that fuse on the input side it'll all work, probably because the wiring has burned out due to it being old and tired and the fuse being oxidised so it isn't blowing at 70 amp, much less 35.
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest paulb2004uk

Thanks for advice, will check back of the fuse box for the brown feed wire.

The stereo was installed in it's original position. Will take it out and check all connections are

properly insulated incase somethings come adrift.

Sorry for the delayed reply, I've been away and didnt have access to the net.