Installing a radio.

Guest paulb2004uk

Guest paulb2004uk

I thought I'd tinker a bit and install a stereo in my 7 this morning. Do I need a specific stereo as I can't get the cage to go in and line up with the hole in the dash. The top of the cage lines up but the bottom sticks out by nearly an inch, or is this a common problem.

Paul

Hi,

FWIW, I had the same problem recently with my own car, seems someone tried before and cracked the fascia (luckily it was minor and easily and invisibly repaired with good old superglue  :cool: )

What I ended up doing was dispensing with the steel collar altogether and using the plastic stereo surround itself (the bit that hides the gap between collar ,fascia and case) to hide this fact... You may have to fabricate clips of some sort to hold the plastic surround securely in place, I used two very small (and long) countersunk screws, black in colour of course, screwed into the bottom right and left hand corners of the plastic surround itself. It's almost invisible, (and not as bodged as it sounds!), and the screws wedge in nicely between the dash and the stereo case and allow easy removal if need be without mutilating the car itself in any way.

The original tape deck (which I have safely stuck in a box somewhere was actually held in place with two hard foam blocks, so the new one is snugly held in place by these and doesn't bounce about. Be VERY careful though not to block any vents with this arrangement, and stay well clear of the heatsink at the back of the new stereo-this may get hot in use, as may the front  panel...

Hope I haven't confused you with all that ;-)

Ryan

<<edited to clarify-the plastic surround I refer to is the one that comes with the new set-not the original rectungular thingy with the cutouts for buttons and such :)>>

• 2 weeks later...
Just so you know, if you are fitting a CD player, some dont work on an angle (have to be flat like most modern cars)

The cheapo JVC CD tuner (£99ish) works fine mounted in the dash, mines been in 2 different 7's now & is still working fine, mind you it did give up the ghost when the heater matrix leaked all over it, managed to dry it out & clean it & got it repaired under warranty, sweet!!